Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joan222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 07:55 PM
    Psalm 23, what does
    I would like to know the sentence in Psalm 23 "Thou prepares a table before me in the
    presence of my enemies" what that sentence actually means? I understand GOD is preparing a table maybe of food & drink but what does in the presence of my enemies mean? Our sins or people we considered to be our enemies? I have know this verse all my life, have heard many a minister preach on it. I attended a funeral today of a young man and this chapter was read. It never occurred to me until then I do not know what this means. I'd appreciate someone explaining this to me. Thank you so much & GOD BLESS!
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Jul 29, 2010, 08:08 PM

Charles Spurgeon explained that very well. The following are his words:

Charles H Spurgeon
    Exposition of Psalm 23 from The Treasury of David.
    Verse 5

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemes; thou annointest my headwith oil; my cup runneth over[King James]

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows[NIV*]
    --------------------------------
    "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies." The good man has his enemies. He would not be like his Lord if he had not. If we were without enemies we might fear that we were not the friends of God, for the friendship of the world is enmity to God. Yet see the quietude of the godly man in spite of, and in the sight of, his enemies. How refreshing is his calm bravery! "Thou preparest a table before me." When a soldier is in the presence of his enemies, if he eats at all he snatches a hasty meal, and away he hastens to the fight. But observe: "Thou preparest a table," just as a servant does when she unfolds the damask cloth and displays the ornaments of the feast on an ordinary peaceful occasion. Nothing is hurried, there is no confusion, no disturbance, the enemy is at the door, and yet God prepares a table, and the Christian sits down and eats as if everything were in perfect peace. Oh! The peace which Jehovah gives to his people, even in the midst of the most trying circumstances!

Hope that helps.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 08:13 PM

When we are beset by troubles, God will nourish us and give us strength. Also, we are not to neglect our inner spiritual selves when dealing with the affairs of the world.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Jul 29, 2010, 09:03 PM

Hi Joan, this sentence compares God to a generous host who provides an abundance of spiritual food to his people even in a hostile world. In contrast, the enemy go hungry. (Isaiah 65:13)
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2010, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan222 View Post
    I would like to know the sentence in Psalm 23 "Thou prepares a table before me in the
    presence of my enemies" what that sentence actually means? I understand GOD is preparing a table maybe of food & drink but what does in the presence of my enemies mean? Our sins or people we considered to be our enemies? I have know this verse all my life, have heard many a minister preach on it. I attended a funeral today of a young man and this chapter was read. It never occurred to me until then I do not know what this means. I'd appreciate someone explaining this to me. Thank you so much & GOD BLESS!
    Hi Joan,

My take on this phrase is a bit different than the rest, but it doesn't contradict them, I don't think.

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

Here the Psalm likens us to sheep following a Shepherd. God being our Shepherd.

3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Here, the Psalm likens God to a Physician who heals our soul by leading us to do good and avoid evil.

For His Name's sake means because He is good and has promised this in the past. He won't go against His promises.

4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

The Rod and Staff refer to a King and a Shepherd or Pastor/Priest. And this verse paints the picture of God being with us even in our darkest hours.

The Rod was used for punishment and the Staff to guide and support, so even the punishment which we receive by God is a comfort to those who love God.

5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:

This means that we are fighting the good fight, against sin and evil all our lives, and God is preparing for us a banquet for when we come home to our final rest.

thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

At which point, God will cleanse us and we will be perfectly happy, having more than we could want.

People who were bathed anointed themselves with oil. But people who were chosen by God were said to be anointed by Him. Christ means anointed one.

A cup that is so full that it runs over signifies plenty. In this case, I believe it signifies the happiness in our hearts which we can't contain.

6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
    Because we do our best to follow God's commandments and to seek His will, we will dwell with Him forever in heaven.

That's my take on it. I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Aug 3, 2010, 08:54 PM
    The Lord doesn't remove us from our enemies or sinfull people.
    Instead, He prepares a table in the midst of them. We can be
    Attacked and wavering in our faith, but when we come to the "Lord's
    Table" or "Lord's Supper", we remember once again that the blood of
    Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.

Love and Blessing, Maggie 3
    Tendadpe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 05:46 PM
    Just having finished Thanksgiving and with memories of many a Christmas dinner in the past, it is easy to picture the table. Remember your best table ever. Remember the food, Turkey, dressing, sweet potato casserole, deserts, piles of food, leftovers for days, belly aches, great memories. I love the memories David brings out. What beautiful, peaceful memories David kindles for me.
    Then he adds in the presence of my enemies. Where did that come from and what does it mean?
    I, for the life of me cannot fit enemies anywhere in that picture in my mind. They don't fit beside me, not across from me, not at the other end of the table either. Could they be serving the food? Maybe the enemies are lining the walls, looking on wistfully at all the bounty my Lord has provided.
    What could in the presence of my enemies mean here? Why are they there?
    Kings often cut off the big toes and thumbs of the kings they defeated and let them get the crumbs off the floor under their tables. Could the enemies be memories of victories past? Maybe the enemies are present so the Lord could show them the bounty in store for them if they only believed like I did. I cinge at this thought though:
    What if the table is the Lord's table in Heaven. There we sit, at the Lord's table, feasting with the Lord, a happy thought. I like it.
    Consider though the thought. If you have enemies here on earth, might some of them make it to heaven? Surely just because they are our enemy they will not be denied eternity in Heaven. They may be there, they may be highly esteemed, they certainly will be loved by the Lord and sitting somewhere at His table, perhaps right there nest to you, maybe right across from you.
    Remember Jesus said He gave the keys of Heaven to His Disciples, remember He said whatever they bound on earth was bound in Heaven and whatever they loosed on earth was loosed in Heaven? Surely we won't have our bound up grudges and judgments there in heaven with us? Would we?
    As we consider peace today, we need to practice peace, we need to make peace, and we need to keep it. Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the sons of God.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Psalm 109 [ 67 Answers ]

Hello Righty's: I see that you have embraced the following as your watchword... Here it is in its entirety. ------------------------- Psalm 109 1 O God, whom I praise, do not remain silent,

A Psalm for the Anointed One [ 2 Answers ]

I have been asked to re-post this from the Current Events discussion section to here... so... here it is. Enjoy psalm 2009 - 2012 first book of democrat obama is a shepherd, i shall not want. he leadeth me beside still factories. he restoreth my faith in the republican party. He...

A Psalm For The Anointed One --- enjoy [ 3 Answers ]

psalm 2009 - 2012 first book of democrat obama is a shepherd, i shall not want. he leadeth me beside still factories. he restoreth my faith in the republican party. He guideth me in the path of unemployment. yea, though i walk through the valley of the bread line, i shall not...

View more questions Search