Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dhello Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2006, 12:14 PM
    Can an adult change their last name legally?
    Can I change my name to a previously used surname? I'd like to change it to my previous husband's name. I did not change it when I got a divorce from my second husband--my ex was married at that time, and it would have caused tension. I'd like to have the same name as our daughter; I prefer the sound of the name, too.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Dec 15, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Remember everything you did to change it last time? Just do that again.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 15, 2006, 12:20 PM
    You can contact your local court to have the name changed. But I would suggest talking to your ex first to make sure he does not mind that you are using the name again. You want to make sure that it would not continue to create tension.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2006, 12:20 PM
    Yes you may change to name to Santa Claus if you want,

To make a name change you merely fill out a form at most court houses and pay a fee and the judge rules on it and poof your name is changed.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2006, 03:13 PM
    You'd have to file the appropriate paperwork with the court along with the filing fee. It's a fairly routine procedure. Then you'd need to apply for a new driver's license and a new social security card reflecting your updated surname.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can we stay legally? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, my sister and I rent an apt, we decided to move at lease renewal time, we have a place we are moving to. (both in Florida) We were to move out of place #1 on Friday Dec 1st, they showed the apt last Sunday and said the guy could move in on Monday the 4th... There is a delay in place #2,...

Legally bound even after lease is up?! [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, here's the situation. My roommate and I signed a 10 month lease, and the lease is up on the 31st of this month. I am moving out because I've found a new job in another city. My roommate still wants to live in the apartment, so we started looking for people to fill the room. I've done all I...

How do I reinstall windows legally [ 1 Answers ]

I have an computer that's a few years old. I recently purchased a 100GB hard drive for it. I want to install the copy of windows XP home on this hard drive. It's the same windows disc that came with the computer. So I can't see it violating any Microsoft "laws". Its still a good system, it...

Is my lease still legally binding? [ 2 Answers ]

As of June 1 2006, my 1 year lease was up and I was to continue my rental agreement with a month to month lease following he fullfilment of this one year lease. As of July 1 2006 the rental property was taken over by a new property owner. I never signed any lease agreement with this new owner...

How can I legally get out of a 6 month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

Dear folks, I moved out of my old house that I was currently residing in with my boyfriend of 5 yrs. We got back together a short while later (3month) and found a great little one bedroom. Anyhow, I have been living here for 2 months and already I can't stand it, I'm being emotionally abused. I...

View more questions Search