Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonipeters Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2010, 03:36 PM
    My Daughter won't speak to me
    My daughter went off to College and had a break down. She is still in college, and in therapy but now says I shattered her life. This through an e-mail. I was a single parent 90% of her life. We had a loving relationship. We never went one day without telling each other "I love you".
    pitufita Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2010, 04:23 PM

The thing about therapy is that it brings a safe haven for us to talk about issues we sometimes even don't know we had but have always been there conditioning our behavior and how we deal with others. Clearly your daughter has some of her own and is now sharing that with you, we can reckon not in the best manner.
    Regardless of that, this email/outburst of hers, in my opinion, is a way of letting you know how you are a part of those issues and put them over the table. That doesn't mean she doesn't love you still, but there's something there you need to talk about. Human relationships are filled with paradoxes, we can love someone yet at the same time deeply resent what they have done sometimes unwillingly.
    Don't know enough to give a more in depth opinion, but maybe you had one of those relationships where you were really close and talked about a lot of things, but maybe weren't able to address the real problems each of you had in their lives. Anyhow, I think that, if she lets you, you should consider be a part of her therapeutic process
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 04:46 PM

She is probably going through some tough stuff with her therapy.
    You say you two had a hood relationship prior to this. Don't take it personally. Just ride it out, she will come around.
    Send her an email daily or every other day, let her know you love her and to let you know if she needs anything. Keep the door of communication open.
    Hang in there mom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daughter won't speak to me, what next? [ 4 Answers ]

My youngest daughter is 29 years old. She has a 2.5 year old and 4 month old> We live 4 blocks from each other, my son lives 2 blocks from me. My daughter and I talk to Each other at least twice a day. The problem is I am always disappointing her. No matter how hard I try, I am always...

My daughter does not speak to me [ 5 Answers ]

I hope that I am not repeaking myself since I tried to send this befoe but did not remember my log in information. My daughter has not spoken to me in nearly 6 months. We had a small incident when we took a trip together. We drove her with us for a 3 day fun trip. The incident has been made...

Adult Daughter Won't Speak to me. [ 41 Answers ]

She's 43 and has not liked being around me for years. She seems to be jelous of me being happy. She likes it when I'm completely helpless, like after surgery she took me into her home. She's married has 4 children and lives an afluent life style. My husband and I visit three times a year. They live...

My daughter won't even speak to me [ 1 Answers ]

Let me start by summarizing the situation. I left my husband of 23 years for my sisters ex boyfriend with whom she has 2 children. They have been seperated for 6 years. We are now married (btw, he had never been married before). Anyway we went through a lot of family turmoil over that but had...

My Daughter won't speak to me [ 3 Answers ]

My Daughter is 33 years old and as of recent she will not answer her phone, will not return emails I have sent and just yesterday I drove 30 miles to her house and her car was in the driveway but she would not answer her door. She has not talked to me in weeks and we have always been very close...

View more questions Search