Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozoDOP2 Posts: 112, Reputation: 0

Jan 8, 2010, 07:42 PM
    Jury Duty excuse of Being Shy and Mentally slow denied, they want Bad Juries?
    I'm 30 but I am very antisocial. I've never had friends, I never talk at work, and I have great difficulty understand what people tell me. My brain can't process it fast.

I wrote an excuse saying "I am not qualified because I have a speech and mental slowness and disability " but today I got a letter saying my excuse was denied and that I should show up.

What do they do at juries anywys? I don't know. And I never undertsood things about courts. I get so confused. Do I have to talk a lot?
    Because I'm social phobic and I can't understand things..

Do they want people even if we're not qualified to be good juries?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozoDOP2 View Post
    Do i have to talk alot??..
    Hello c:

You don't have to talk at all. You listen and you vote your conscience. It's not hard. You're perfect.

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 09:09 PM
    You cannot write your own excuse. If you could, we wouldn't have juries because most people don't want to do jury duty.

You go, show up, and you may or may not get interviewed then they determine if you are able to sit on the jury.

As excon said, and I have to spread the rep, you sit and be quiet. Listen to what questions the lawyers ask the person in the box and listen to their answers.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 10:51 AM

You are selected from a pool of potential jurors. It is not a sure thing that you will have to serve any jury duty at all. If you show up then you have done your duty. If you are interviewed, just answer the attorney's questions truthfully. You may not even be selected to sit on any jury.

The only plausible excuse for not being on a jury is that your employment will suffer greatly if you must be absent for a lengthy spell. I got out of Federal jury duty when I worked for a sole practitioner attorney and stated in my letter to the court that since I was my bosses' only employee he would suffer greatly if I was not there to attend to his office as he was gone a lot and having a temporary worker filling in for me would not be feasible to perform a lot of my dutues. I didn't have to report as I got a notice in the mail about a week later that I was excused from jury duty.

You need to remember that you probably won't be chosen after a voir dire is performed. That's the interview of the potential jury members in layman's terms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jury Duty [ 17 Answers ]

I have researched various web sites about avoiding jury duty and many said that judges can be jerks when it comes to dismissing jurors even when they have a valid excuse such as loss of income of health reasons. Most sites said the best way to avoid it is to simply throw away your summons because...

Jury duty [ 2 Answers ]

Are you required to serve a second term on a jury if you have served in the past?

Conviction and jury duty [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. In 1996 I was charged in NY City with a misdemeanor but pled guilty to a violation, a non-criminal conviction. In 2002 I served jury selection for 2 days. During selection for a criminal case the person handling the selection of jurors told us that if anyone has an "issue" with ever having...

Jury Duty [ 5 Answers ]

I am breast feeding single mother, I work 3 days a week(freelancer). I have to work to provide for me and a baby, I pay babysitter when working. -How do I get out of Jury duty and be truthful?

Employer and Jury Duty [ 2 Answers ]

I was picked to serve on a jury that will require me to be away from work for approx 3 weeks. My employer pays 3 days of jury service. I have been making up some time by working a couple hours each day and on a Saturday but the remainder of the time that I am spending in jury duty my employer is...

View more questions Search