Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Jun 28, 2009, 01:03 PM
    What is a good flat screen?
    So I'm looking to buy a flat screen TV, and I have a few questions, but first let me tell you how I will use it. It will be used to play games on (xbox 360 atm) and to watch movies. I want the best HD possible which I think is 1080p? Im looking at some tv's on best buy's site, and I'm confused on what's better: Plasma or HD? I am really concerned for the quality of games, as that's the most important part to me. Also, how many Hertz do I want? I see 60hz to 600hz and so on. So please fill me in :)

Here is one of the ones I'm checking out: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218079754471

Any useful info on it would be appreciated
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2009, 02:35 PM

I don't know much about plasma but I prefer the LCD screens as they are more energy efficient. Also, my son (age 25) is an avid gamer and plays a lot of video games suggested that you not get such a large screen as it would be almost impossible for you to properly play your Xbox games. Unless, of course, you are used to such a large screen to play your games on. He has a 27" Panasonic CRT type model TV that he plays his games on and the only games that he would like a wider screen would be the Grand Theft Auto type games to make it easier to see the roadway.

Would suggest you find a friend who has such a large screen and try and play a few of your favorite games on before investing that kind of money.

I personally find the larger screens hard to watch - even movies. But then, that's just me.

You also need to go into the store and look at the picture quality of each maker and see what seems crisper to you. That's what I did when I was shopping for a LCD for my bedroom. I ended up with a LCD from Sharp and am very happy with it.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2009, 02:40 PM

I don't know that brand
    My favorite brands are
    Toshiba
    Philips
    JVC
    Sony
    Sharp

I like HD best
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 04:10 PM

PCWorld did a nice article that should help you. How to Buy a Flat-Screen HDTV - PC World I bought a Visio plasma from Costco and now wish I had gone LCD. I don't have the article at hand that explains there are only 4-5 actually manufacturers and you would only recognize 1 of their names. Oops I lied, found it. http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...makeswhat.html
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 05:21 PM

I have a 42' Panasonic in my family room that is a plasma and I love it.

I am planning on building a home theater in my basement and I too am looking for a giant screen, LCD or plasma, not sure either. Or I may use a front ceiling projector system with a pull down screen. So I will be investigating the best types also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C with split screen [ 5 Answers ]

Hello,I have an eight month old Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C My sound is great. My picture is distorted. Seems it has a divided screen. With little movement of the actual picture. Colors are way off. And none of the controls work except for channel up and down work, but very...

Plasma or LCD for new flat screen ? [ 4 Answers ]

What are the pros & cons of Plasma vs LCD for a den flat screen TV

Flat screen TV monitor [ 5 Answers ]

Is it possible to hook up a CPU to a 40'' LCD Samsung TV? I want to use the TV as the monitor. What components would I need, wireless mouse, keyboard, cpu etc. etc. What cables would I need?

View more questions Search