Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Disability recipient exempt from paying child support
    Hi there,

I have a question. If a person is on SSI disability because they are considered bipolar are they exempt from paying child support? This question refers to Washington State.

Thank you in advance.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 03:48 PM

They sign up for supplemental income through their disability for their kids. None of my ex's disability was taken out of his ssd but others have insisted that it was taken out of their ex's disability.

File for supplemental for the kids. It shouldn't be taken out of the other though as far as I know.
    Vision Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 03:52 PM

I'm sorry, that's a bit confusing. I know nothing about this stuff... I'm asking on my boyfriend's behalf. He's frustrated that his daughter's mother isn't paying child support. On the other hand he is still paying back child support from when she had custody...
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 03:58 PM

Whose on the disability?
    IF she is then she needs to file for the kids to get income on behalf of her disability.
    He needs to go back to Child support court and get his support from her enforced.
    Vision Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 05:11 PM

She is, yes. So he can make her pay child support even though she is on disability? Because the last time that he tried they revoked it based on that. So he has to go back to court to get this done?
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 06:00 PM

She wouldn't be paying for it. The Social Security would be paying it. They need to file through her social security disability.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 06:04 PM

Ok, the SSI has nothing to do with child support or family court.

The child should be getting this money because the other parent is receiving the disability.

This has nothing at all to do with child support.

The amount of support would be based on current income if her new income is less now that she is on disability. ( but there is no change in support, unless the mother goes back to court and asks for a modification)

So you have two issue, one with social security payment that is due for the child, and the other is support.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 06:45 PM

SSI is a form of welfare and as such is not counted as income for child support purposes.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 06:46 PM

Yeah they are two separate things as Fr_Chuck said.
    Your boyfriend will have to take care of both.
    Vision Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 11:07 PM

Okay, I will let him know.
    Vision Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 11:08 PM
    Thanks for all the advice guys.
    Vision Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 12:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Ok, the SSI has nothing to do with child support or family court.

The child should be getting this money because the other parent is recieving the disability.

This has nothing at all to do with child support.

The amount of support would be based on current income if her new income is less now that she is on disability. ( but there is no change in support, unless the mother goes back to court and asks for a modification)

So you have two issue, one with social security payment that is due for the child, and the other is support.
    Are you saying that the child is entitled to a social security check? Her mother does not have custody of her, so I didn't think she would be.
    Vision Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 12:28 AM
    I've looked for the information online, so that I could print it and show it to my boyfriend. But I cannot find anything.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2009, 03:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    Are you saying that the child is entitled to a social security check? Her mother does not have custody of her, so I didn't think she would be.
    THAT is what I am trying to tell you. My husband got on disability to get out of paying child support. I got $80. A month for each of my kids. That was in the 90's. I do believe it is up to $150. Or more per child now.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 07:48 AM

He will have to contact the local ss office to get more information. It is very hard to find online (at least in my area).
    Vision Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 10:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    THAT is what I am trying to tell you. My husband got on disability to get out of paying child support. I got $80. a month for each of my kids. That was in the 90's. I do believe it is up to $150. or more per child now.
    Ah I see. I will definitely let him know.
    Donna_w3girls Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 12:20 AM
    It all depends. Myself and my husband are on disability and low income eligible for programs.
    We were court ordered to pay $42 a month in child support per parent. We were told we pay it or be in contempt. We were paying a Grandparent who received the court ordered payment.
    So not all parents are exempt from paying support even if they are on disability. We both receive SSI and SSDI. It all depends. Fallow the court order until it is spelled out clearly. You are always welcome to ask questions.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2010, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna_w3girls View Post
    It all depends. My self and my husband are on disability and low income eligible for programs.
    We were court ordered to pay $42 a month in child support per parent. We were told we pay it or be in contempt. We were paying a Grandparent who received the court ordered payment.
    So not all parents are exempt from paying support even if they are on disability. We both receive SSI and SSDI. It all depends. Fallow the court order until it is spelled out clearly. You are always welcome to ask questions.
    This original post is quite old but I would like to point out the difference between the two situations. In the original post the only income is SSI which is not considered for child support reasons to be income. In your situation you were also getting SSDI which is different that is counted as income for child support purposes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will I be paying child support for a child not mine in marrige? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I be force to pay child support through marrige even if the child is not mine?

How to prove child is emancipated,so I can stop paying child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old child who graduated in june08.I was told by judge because of new (mass.)law I have to prove she's emancipated, in order to stop child support.She supposedly lives with her mom .doesnt go to school.I can't find any info,because she's 18(privacy laws).On court order it says I...

Retired Father exempt from Paying Child Support in TX? [ 2 Answers ]

The father of my sons has recently retired and the 2 children began receiving Dependent SS Benefits. They would receive these even if we were not divorced correct. It makes sense that their financially wealthy father continue his child support obligations per the Divorce Decree so I would...

Disability, Child Support [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Texas and have been paying child support for my daughter to her uncles ex-wife and I am on disablility and the uncle is the representative payee of my daughter;s disability benefits. When I became disabled, I owed approximately one years worth of back child support totalling around...

View more questions Search