Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monicak Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Harassment Order
    My husband and I are living in a rental home. I've asked him to leave but he won't; he basically says that he'll leave when he gets ready; in the meantime I'm in constant fear.

I don't qualify the standard Restraining Order against my husband because he hasn't hit me, attacked me or threatened me. However, he is verbally abusive and consistently harasses me at all hours of the day and night. He calls my cell phone, calls me at work and has caused me substanial emotional and mental distress. Can I qualify for a "Request for Oders to Stop Harassment".:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 29, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Are you filing for divorce? Do you have a Divorce attorney? Have you spoken with the atty?

You can change the locks and move his stuff into a storage locker.

Sep 29, 2006, 09:10 AM
    I have spoken with an attorney about a Divorce, unfortunately, it will cost $2,500 to retain the attorney. I need my husband out now before things escalate and get out of control. Any thoughts on the harassment order?

Sep 29, 2006, 09:40 AM
    You need to talk to the attorney or someone in Family Court.

Sep 29, 2006, 09:50 AM
    Okay, thanks.:(
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2006, 10:11 AM
    Hello monicak:

Of course, there's always the option of YOU leaving. That way you don't need the cops to protect you, you don't need family court (divorce court is going to be enough), and you don't need a lawyer (right this very moment).

It's a shame that our system doesn't kick in UNTIL he hits you, but if you want to stop him from even lifting his hand, move.

excon

Sep 29, 2006, 11:07 AM
    There is another note posted by monica in which she states her name alone is on the lease. That make it more difficult for her to be the one to move out.

Sep 29, 2006, 11:14 AM
    I am resigned to the move out is not financially a option. I have $2500 of my own money tied up in the lease and not willing to just throw it away like that.

I've been the sole supporter of our household for years; he's worked off and on but now I'm not willing to lose another dime.

Divorce is the answer but that won't get him out today which is why I was asking about the harassment restraining order.

I agree with excon, some people really know how to work the system while the rest of us hardworking, loyal, supportive individuals get the shaft. I guess I'll have to spend some more hard earned money on a lawyer to get this buzzard out and the issue resolved.

Thanks for the responses.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2006, 09:08 AM
    Is there actually such a thing as a "Request for Orders to Stop Harassment?" I've never heard of it but if it exists it probably isn't worth the paper it's written on. Actually your best bet may be to press criminal charges of harassment against your husband. Besides that, all you can really do is move out yourself rather than trying to kick hm out, then call a good, crafty divorce lawyer.
    tmack2833 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Sep 30, 2006, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by monicak
    My husband and I are living in a rental home. I've asked him to leave but he won't; he basically says that he'll leave when he gets ready; in the meantime I'm in constant fear.

I don't qualify the standard Restraining Order against my husband because he hasn't hit me, attacked me or threatened me. However, he is verbally abusive and consistently harasses me at all hours of the day and night. He calls my cell phone, calls me at work and has caused me substanial emotional and mental distress. Can I qualify for a "Request for Oders to Stop Harassment".:confused:
    In the state of California, you can get a restraining order, my boyfriend has one on this woman he dating with for 3 months who was harassing him. The judge gave him a 3 yr restraining order on her. It was all verbal abuse, she never put her hands on him but under the domestic violence restraining order, harassment is a form of domestic abuse.
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 5, 2006, 09:48 AM
    If his name is not on the lease, you should be able to have the police make him leave because could be considered a visitor in YOUR home. Or you could do what ScottGem said previously, and put ALL of his stuff out and change the locks. If you do that, make sure you put everything out so he won't have a reason to contact you. Then you get a restraining order.
    stormie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by monicak

I do know every time he calls, or does anything, you need to call police, ask their name badge # and tell them you want this documented... Ask for a case number. Every single time he does anything do this, get case numbers, then you can file a restraining order. A friend I know just did this two days ago... Good luck...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

LDS harassment. [ 35 Answers ]

Okay I am at my wits end. I was baptised as a mormon at age 9 or 10 because that is what my mother( the hypocrite) wanted. I was forced to go to church as a child even though at that age I had no real concept of the religion. As I grew up and got married and discovered what the religion was all...

Stalking and harassment [ 15 Answers ]

I am trying desperately to break up with someone who was living with me and not paying bills. He was hired as temporary/part time for my company as one of my assistants to try to make some money. It was an at-will employment status, which means I can get rid of him whenever I choose. He is now...

Was I out of Order [ 33 Answers ]

My b/f is a photographer. We've been together for a longt time and have discussed marriage. I went to his house a couple of months ago and we were in the room were he prints his pictures. I saw a picture of a woman in a swimming pool at the poconos. He didn't act like he was trying to hide...

Money order [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I cash a money order written out to me. I don't have a bank account

View more questions Search