Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aikalee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 06:11 AM
    How a parent should cope with the news of his daughter being molested
    :confused:
    My husband and I just found out that his daughter from a previous relationship had been molested 3yrs ago. She was around 7 yrs old at the time My husband hasn't seen her in a few years but they talk on the phone regularly. My question is how does he cope with the news. There is no way of him being there for her in this time of need because his daughters step dad is being stationed in Japan for the next 3 years and she's going with him. I'm scared that my husband will want to hurt himself or the man that did this to her.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 06:18 AM

He can help her by finding a group with other victims, call your local Sexual Assault Hotlines and find support groups [ 1.800.656.HOPE ].

He could also start by paying for a therapist.

She needs a lot of support right now, even if it happened a few years ago, the impact is still so very real. I know he can't be there personally so maybe more phone calls, or he could also start saving up money to visit her for a or have her visit you.

As a parent, I too would be enranged. However he needs to keep in mind that she's in a world of hurt and needs to stay calm. I know impossible right? He just needs to bite his tongue when he talks to her and focus on how she's feeling rather than replaying what happened and reminding her what a scum the abuser is. However if she brings up the perp, he needs to let her talk it out- he shouldn't be the one bringing him up.

He needs to remind her that he loves her and that he will help her to deal with how she feels- and allow her to call him whenever she wants, even if it's at 3AM.

I would also suggest taking legal action- people like that should'nt be roaming the streets freely.

I am so sorry she was violated. My heart goes out the her.

Sarah
    godskid36 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 07:29 AM
    First off did the step dad do this to her? What was done to the person that did? Did her mom call the police if not why? Does your husband want to fight for custody? Does the girl want to leave where she is? All this must be answered before a choice can be thoguth about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to cope with brother that molested me as a child [ 48 Answers ]

My brother is 4 years older than me. Our family was very close (loving parents, no abuse, very normal). When I was very small, I knew my brother never wanted to be around me. He would want to go anywhere I wasn't. I adored my brother and wanted his attention so badly I would do anything to make...

My sig. Other does not parent his teen daughter effectively and its making me crazy [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all, I had a daughter early in life my s-o had kids later in his life, so my daughter is grown, 35, a successful therapist. I am a high school teacher. His kids are 10 and almost 15. Since I have met him he tended to ignor problems I saw developing in his daughter like disordered eating...

Parent Victims Need Protection From Incarcerated Teenager Daughter! [ 2 Answers ]

Mother & adopted Father would like to relinquish their Rights to a 16.5 yr old daughter to the state of Washington. She is currently incarcerated at a JRA facility and is due to be paroled 04/12/2008 - We are the victims of her crimes which have all been violent from Assault 2, Assault 3, &...

Step parent visitation for my daughter? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to find out if my ex wife has to allow my current wife to see my daughter, my current wife and I have 2 children, and they miss their sister a lot. As it is right now, I am in iraq with the DoD and cannot find out anything. My ex wife holds my daughter from my family the entire...

Mother and single parent daughter sharing a house [ 7 Answers ]

I am a single parent of an 8year old girl and I recently received a job which is causing me to relocate. When I notify my mother of the job and the relocation, she asked if she could live me. I was instantly horrified, my mother is controlling, intrusive, noisy, opinionated, bossy and...

View more questions Search