Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2009, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bleslie06 View Post
    I called the General Session Court this morning and in Tennessee you do not have to give a written notice to vacate. The notice can be verbal. The court also suggested changing the lock and if she does not leave then we can file a retainer warrant to have her removed.
    I would be careful about advice from court clerks. While the advice about a verbal notice may be correct, I would STILL put it in writing. It doesn't hurt and you have back up plus it may show her you really are serious.. But I strenuously disagree with the advice on changing the locks. This could open you up for a lawsuit for unlawful eviction. I am very surprised they gave you that advice which calls into question any other advice you got from them.

Do give her written notice and if she still won't leave then file for the retainer warrant as soon as your notice period expires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deal with runaway/defiant child [ 6 Answers ]

:( I have debated where to post this question... normally I would opt for teen instead of children however most of "teen" looks to be from teens not about how to cope with them. My daughter and I have had many ups and downs and it isn't getting any easier. She left my home on July 8th after a...

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

Defiant child [ 3 Answers ]

My 16 year old son does not listen. He does not come home on time, leaves when you tell him not to. He has stolen money from me. I had to put locks on my door to keep him out but he finds a way to break in, and he lies constantly. On top of all those things he a pig. He will not clean up after...

Step-parenting a defiant child? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm getting married soon and I and my fiancé are in our early twenties. He has a 3yr old daughter who is the result of a "one-night-stand" in high school. :o I was lucky enough to meet her when she wasn't even two yet, so she really has no memories without me in her life; of that I am thankful....

View more questions Search