Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ruth Ann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Teaching your child to talk
    My youngest girl is 16 months old and she can only say like 5 things and I'm worried her sister could say a lot more things by now. How can I convice her to talk more.
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 12:25 PM

Do you talk to her a lot?

Play learning games with her?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2008, 01:25 PM

Kids learn at a different pace because every child is different. Your going have to be patient with her and work with her every day and you will see an improvement.

Also, if you have a concern you can voice it with her doctor but most doctors won't think it is an issue until the child is at least 24 months or older.

My mother told me that my brother starting walking at 11 months, I started a day before my 1st birthday and my sister didn't start until she was 13 months. Every child is different.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 07:38 AM

Do you find that your other daughter may answer for your youngest? A lot of times the 2nd child doesn't speak as much because the older siblings talk for them.
    This happened with my brother. My mom was really worried that he couldn't speak. He is the youngest of 4 kids. What was actually happening is that we did all the talking for him.

You just need to be patient. Continue to talk to her and help her identify her surroundings. Your doctor will guide you if there is a problem.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Before I answer, I need to know how old her older sister is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child can't talk at age 3.9 years [ 2 Answers ]

"My son is years and 10 months old. Though he follows some of my instructions like switch off the lights etc, he doesn't speak at all except of making noises. When i call him by his name, sometimes he listens and reach where iam sitting sometime he doesn't even look at me though iam sitting besides...

How to teach your child to talk [ 15 Answers ]

My 2 1/2 year old refuses to speak English! She doesn't have any medical or speech problems that the Doctor's can detect. I have tried not giving her what she wants when I know what it is and I have lasted up to 2 hours. She is the baby of the family and spends a lot of time being babied by...

Teaching a young child [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know any good books or techniques regarding teaching a 3 yr old reading and the alphabet?

View more questions Search