Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ungreen Thumb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Unruly Grass
    Hi, I live in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada. I have a problem with unruly grass... don't know how else to describe it. The unruly parts have coarser blades that the good areas. The unruly grass tends to flatten out / lie down and spread out from the centre where it appears to be a brownish color. The Lawn is about 5 years old (sods), I've noticed the problem for the past 3 years and it is spreading fairly quickly. Any ideas what this is and how to fix it?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2006, 03:18 PM
    It sounds like a crabgrass. Are you treating your grass at all? If so, what is your schedule and treatments type for each one?

Jun 11, 2006, 07:40 AM
    I don't do a lot with the lawn. Fertilize a couple times per year... 28, 3, 4 on the bag... and cut every 5 or 6 days with a ride on mower. I don't cut it short... probably 3". Last fertilizer was about a month ago. In the spring the grass really looks good for a short period... hardly see the unruly spots. It looks pretty good in the fall as well... say after mid September. If you look at it now, it is very green... just unruly. The brown spots (more like the centre where the grass spreads out) is not really visible now... more pronounced when we have a dry spell. I looked up crabgrass on the net, however, mine doesn't look like it. We have had a really wet May month and it's been raining now for over a week. I'll try and get a pic and post it. Thanks for your response.

Jun 11, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Here is anattachment taken from the window... too wet to go outside. The dark green patches are normal grass.
    Attached Images

RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Ok, it's not crabgrass. This is a mix of grass where - by the sounds of the increasing lighter grass - one type is overtaking the other. Looks like you're at about 75-80% "other type" already.

I'll guess that in another few years, your yard will be all the lighter kind.

If you just hate it and want to do something about it immediately, I'm thinking your only option is to remove it all and replant with a quality seed of the type you want.

To be sure, though, get some local lawn care companies in for a "free estimate" to tell you what you need to do. From there you can decide if it's something you want to proceed with... or just wait it out.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 15, 2006, 08:46 AM
    You could just seed the yard. If you over seed then the grass will choke out whatever you don't want. Grass is actually very hardy and I have been told that by over seeding your lawn will become more lush. Just pick a seed that you want.

I too am having trouble with my yard and am trying to get my lawn to how I want it. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grass types? [ 3 Answers ]

How do you tell what type of grass you have so you can re-seed your lawn?

Grass [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new house in December and my yard is full of weeds. How do I start growing grass?

Unruly Katrina tentants - landlord can't/won't help - Need advice [ 4 Answers ]

I rent an apartment in Arkansas. I've been a "good tenant", quiet, polite, friendly, and have been here about 4 years. The apts. Here are very nice, pretty new, peaceful, clean, semi-upscale, in the metro area. All that changed last year when the property owner signed a contract with FEMA to let...

Improving my grass [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Indianapolis, In and it is February now. I have a lawn that used to be a horse pasture and it has a mixture of many kinds of weeds and grasses along with real grass of unknown kind. I want to know how to improve my grass growth and reduce my weeds and other grasses. What can I do in...

Bermuda Grass [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything that will kill or inhibit bermuda grass that is taking over my yard and smothering the other grass?

View more questions Search