Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snugem Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Defiant child
    My 16 year old son does not listen. He does not come home on time, leaves when you tell him not to. He has stolen money from me. I had to put locks on my door to keep him out but he finds a way to break in, and he lies constantly. On top of all those things he a pig. He will not clean up after himself. He had dishes with fur growing on them under his bed. I've constantly talked to him, explained to him that he's going down the wrong path. I grounded him even warned to put him in a home for troubled boys. My main problem is I can't deal with it any longer, I really want to send him away to learn some respect and discipline. Am I doing the right thing?
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Sep 18, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Although it can tear your heart out, sometimes tough love is the only way to go. My son, at 14, decided that a 16 year old girl he liked at school knew more than his parents. He snuck out at night to go drinking and smoking with her. He did all the things you've mentioned your son doing, and we finally had to get to the point of telling him to straighten up or get out.

After living with some friends for a couple of months in which he was locked out of the communal home several times, had the food he had worked hard to get the money to buy eaten by his so-called friends (which left him hungry, as they didn't even leave anything for him to eat), and finally found himself laying in a ditch in the middle of nowhere in a pile of his own vomit after a night of drinking in which his friends dumped him and left him there when he got sick, he finally came to the conclusion that his friends didn't care for him at all.

Now, at 23, he's in college working his way toward a degree that will allow him to help children with autism. He's chem free and very proud of himself. He tells us that, had we continued to fight him instead of allowing him to see what life was like for himself, he wouldn't have been where he is now - and our relationship with him is wonderful.

Put your son in the home for troubled boys, where there are professionals who are fully trained to help him find the good person inside of him. Had there been such a place in our town at the time we were having trouble with our son, we would have taken advantage of it! The life you save may be your son's - or your own!
    caramelbunny Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 07:47 PM
    ABSOLUTELY! If he cannot abide by your rules in your house and respect your authority he could end up facing horrible consequences if not straightend out(ie. Jail, drug or alcohol abuse, or even worse death). If he cannot listen to you now, how do you think he will treat his wife or even keep a job? This needs to be addressed asap so you can keep your son out of harms way.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Tough love can also backfire, big time.
    It depends on the individual and how their issues developed
    As to whether tough love should be carried out or even considered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Deal with runaway/defiant child [ 6 Answers ]

:( I have debated where to post this question... normally I would opt for teen instead of children however most of "teen" looks to be from teens not about how to cope with them. My daughter and I have had many ups and downs and it isn't getting any easier. She left my home on July 8th after a...

What are the options to get a defiant minor out of the house? [ 16 Answers ]

Sad topic for my first post, huh? I'm at the end of my rope with my 14 yr. old son. Last November, he used the f-word while speaking to/at me. I wrote him a letter, telling him if he cursed at me again, his cell phone privilege would be revoked for a minimum of two weeks. Early Dec 2007,...

Defiant 5-year-old boy [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am a mother of a 4-year-old boy with defiant behavior. My son is very smart and advanced in his academics. He may also be Gifted and Talented. But his behavior is very BAD. I have been forced to dis-enroll him from TWO day cares because of it. He hasn't even started grade school yet. He...

Step-parenting a defiant child? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm getting married soon and I and my fiancé are in our early twenties. He has a 3yr old daughter who is the result of a "one-night-stand" in high school. :o I was lucky enough to meet her when she wasn't even two yet, so she really has no memories without me in her life; of that I am thankful....

View more questions Search