Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    berrysweetncgurl Posts: 166, Reputation: 19

Jun 24, 2008, 07:04 AM
    My two year old is barely talking
    My little boy will be 2 next month. He says the normal things like Momma, Dada, Car, Truck, SHoe, Hot, Cold, Dog

But that's about it.

I was reading up on some articles on toddlers and talking and it said the typical 2 year old knows about 50-75 words already. My son is very alert and smart and goes to daycare with other children. SO why is he not talking? Is there anything I can do to encourage him to talk more and use new words
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Some kids at that age just don't seem to find it necessary to learn.
    I have been noticing a lot of kids anymore are not talking until they are 4.
    My neighbors son is almost 5 and he just starting to talk this past year.
    Check his hearing and so forth and have a dr rule out anything that could be due to medical problems.
    berrysweetncgurl Posts: 166, Reputation: 19

Jun 24, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Your right, I had prety bad hearing problems when I was a kid. Is it hereditary?
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 24, 2008, 07:36 AM
    My cousins little boy hadn't been talking at all and he was almost 2. She took him to a specilist and found out he had low blood platelets. They treated him. He is now 2 and a few months old and he says a lot of stuff he even knows my name.

Some kids just take mor time to start talking than others, it doesn't mean they are any less smart though.

Good luck.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by berrysweetncgurl
    your right, I had prety bad hearing problems when i was a kid. is it hereditary?
    Honestly, I don't know for sure if it is. My daughter has hearing issues. Basically, when she gets a cold she can only hear things as if you were whispering. It took a while to figure that out. We had extensive hearing exams done - they ALWAYS asked me if anyone in the family had hearing problems.

The screening is pretty simple and painless.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 11, 2008, 09:15 PM
    I think it might be something in the food nowadays along with the environment the are preventing kids to excel like they used to.

Just remember that all kids are different.It doesn't make your kid any less than a kid his age that is speaking perfect english.

I actually know a few 2 year olds that don't have close to 50 words down.
    One of the reasons my nephew isn't speaking more words is because is is being taught in two different languages which is good, but preventing him from achieving English quicker.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Not sure what blackblue is referring to when talking about the "food" thing...

Regardless, I wouldn't worry too much about this until he's a bit older (if he's 3-ish and isn't progressing much), as some children progress slower and later catches up. However, as a precaution, a visit to the peds just to get a workup done isn't a bad idea. All children develop differently... simply because a book says that your child "should" be somewhere doesn't mean there's something wrong with him when he isn't.
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Yeah the preservatives and chemicals I think are more a problem with ADHD than anything
    JuJuFruit Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Jul 12, 2008, 09:35 AM
    When my almost 5 yr old was 2. He didn't talk hardly. I mean he could say the necessities. But that was it. He just was a quiet child.

Nothing really wrong with him. His hearing was fine. Motor skills was a little off.

Now at almost 5. The child DOES NOT stop talking. Lol... And I mean he will talk about anything.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Yeah my neighbors kid just started talking at almost 5 years old
    The first clear thing I heard him say was Stop your attitude mom
    And she does have one of the most miserable attitudes!

A lot of kids do just choose not to talk until they want to
    damumma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 06:00 AM
    I work with kids with all sorts of problems.

There are two types of language development.

Receptive language - what they understand
    Expressive language - what they can say

Can he follow 2 or 3 part instructions e.g. go to your room, get your teddy and bring him to me (3 part)

If he is having difficulties with receptive language that is more of an immediate concern.

Either way if you are worried have him assessed. If he does have a speech delay, the earlier you are aware the better, and yes hearing difficulties can be hereditary.

To encourage expressive language development:
    Talk to him all the time about what you are doing, seeing, doing tomorrow etc
    Build on language, if he says "truck" you say "yes a red truck" (adding simple information)
    Name lots of objects
    Read to him every day

Talk to his carers at day care to see if they have noticed anything else

Hope this helps

Jac
    lambsm Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 10:12 PM
    My son is 2.5 and will be 3 in Nov and still doesn't talk. Boys speak later than girls, I think boys are just more physical *driving a toy car around instead of saying "I am driving a car" My son says all the common ONE word things like Mom Dad Dog Car etc. He JUST started saying "I Play" THE ONLY 2 word sentence his says. He also refers to himself in the third person a lot now LOL. My son really started to talk when he went to "preschool" I don't know where you are but in my area there are a TON of preschools that have a 2 year old class 2 days a week. It is totally worth the learning and social skills they get there. Hope this helps and good luck.
    neel2u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Make him listen to nice songs... some children songs... more and more... then u sing the song and encourage him to sing with u. tell him poems... small ones... make rhymes in some usual talking... like ''how are u? I'm fine,thank u''... like that... it will encourage him to open his mouth, he may find it interesting.
    Andrew916 Posts: 182, Reputation: 33

Jul 22, 2008, 03:08 PM
    I really don't want to be a downer here- but I believe that (the key word being BELIEVE) that that could be a sign of possible autism. Most two year-olds I meet won't stop talking - the "terrible 2's" as many people refer to it. So if it persists over more than six-nine months, I'd look into it. Are you reading stories to him and making sure he has plenty of auditory stimulus? That could be another cause. I hope it isn't autism- but you should never rule anything out- you could miss something. Best wishes

Drew

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower/Tub Hot water barely comes out [ 10 Answers ]

Hello all! I have a single knob that runs my tub and shower (off/on to cold/hot water) The cold water comes out rapidly, but when I turn all the way to hot, the water gets very hot but it comes out 1/10th of the pressure. Hot water works all throughout the house. I also realized my...

When we have sex is great but we barely do it [ 8 Answers ]

We have been together for 4 years but lately our sex life is just boring,he always finds excuses to turn me down and that is just making me very resentful. When we do it he is amazing but I feel like I need to beg him for it or if I don't make the first move he can go weeks without it . I don't...

He barely cleans. [ 4 Answers ]

I have been living with a friend and his 2yr daughter in his house for over a year now. He barely cleans. He was raised that way. I want to mop, sweep, dust and keep things wiped down. He might help for a couple days then stop, or he will do something minor for aesthetic reasons. I want to live in...

View more questions Search