Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakebedell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Last Name on Birth Certificate, Virginia laws.

I recently moved to Virginia while I'm 6 months pregnant. The father of the child is planning on coming down here in August and be here but because of finances may not be able to. My question is, Does he have to be there to give our child his last name? We are not married and I know if he isn't there we can't sign the acknowledgment of paternity paper but is that needed to give our child his last name?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 04:22 PM
    You, as the mother, can give the child any last name that you choose. If you choose to give your child his last name that is great. However, as you stated he will not be there to be able to sign the Affidavit of Paternity and he will not be able to sign the birth certificate. But that is easier to change than changing the child's last name.

So, after saying all that, just give your child the father's last name.
    confused1145 Posts: 176, Reputation: 17

Jun 19, 2008, 05:39 PM
    I know in WV you can give a child any last name you want. I'm sure VA is the same way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction laws in virginia [ 4 Answers ]

My house has been foreclosed on. The person who purchased it says we have to be out tomorrow and will not extend the deadline. We have no money to go anywhere until the end of this week. She says she will begin the eviction process tomorrow morning. What are my rights, if any and what is the...

Birth Certificate [ 4 Answers ]

After the babies & I took the DNA test to prove that "He" is the father, he refused to sign the birth certificate. Is there a law that will make him sign the birth certificate? Thx for your help!

Cemetery laws in the state of virginia [ 1 Answers ]

What are the virginia state laws for burying on private land. Do you need a permit or vault ?

Virginia eviction laws... from the tenant's side [ 2 Answers ]

I see a lot on here regarding what landlords are supposed to do during the eviction process, but what are the tenant's rights? How long do we have after rent due date until the eviction process can be started? If we pay the rent in full, even after that date, does that negate the eviction?

View more questions Search