Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Reecie Posts: 25, Reputation: -1

May 19, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Notorizing a hand written paper
    My son, who lives in Georgia needs a witness to write a three line statement that they knew when his child's mother came home one morning at 5:30 a.m. The lawyers want the sister to sign a paper that says just that. My son's attorney wants it notorized. The sister does not think that will hold water.

So the questions is, will having the sister write a one line statement and then have it notorized make it a legal document so my son's lawyer can use it to prove the mother of his child was out all night when the baby was only 6 months old.

Thank you very much.

Reecie
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 19, 2008, 08:09 AM
    All notarizing a piece of paper does is provide assurance as to who signed the document. So if the sister writes the statementa, then goes to a notary to have her signature notarized, this assures everyone later on who sees the statement that it was indeed the sister who signed it. It says nothing about whether the statement is true or not. Your son's lawyer can then use the document as evidence to a judge that there is a witness to the event without the witness necessarily having to be present at the hearing.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 12:57 PM
    The sister must sign the paper before the notary and provide identification. The notary sees the paper signed and then applies the notary seal. The notary vouches that "Mary Jones" signed this paper on the blank day of May, 2008. The notary does not vouch for what wording the document contains, just the signature.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 19, 2008, 01:45 PM
    When the sister signs it in front of a notory it proves she signed it.
    So this will prove to the court that she signed it, now if it goes to court, most likely the sister will have to actually testify in court, since all they have the right to question witness against them.
    Sonador101 Posts: 298, Reputation: 14

May 23, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Good luck with it all.
    Ps I know nothing about legal stuff

May 23, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Thank you all for answering my notary question. The papers have been notarized and mailed to the proper person. Thank all of you for such good advice. Reecie
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 23, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonador101
    good luck with it all.
    ps i know nothing about legal stuff

I realize you are 13 and post on the relationship, dating, teen boards but this is a legal advice board, not a support board.

I know you know nothing about legal stuff and mean well, but, again, this is not a discussion board.

May 23, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Thank you all for helping. You all had good sufficient answers. The papers have been notoriaed and mailed to the attorneyl

Thank you all so much for the info you all gave. It was all very helpful.

Reecie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buyer sign hand written agreement and then cancel the deal does get her money back? [ 5 Answers ]

The buyer and seller agree on the price for a 2006 scion xb with 12050 miles on it for 12000, and sign a handwritten agreement. She wrote me a $500 personal check to hold the car until Friday which is five days. I took it off the market for that time and had to turn down other offers for the car...

LexmarkX6570 Paper jam display with no paper jam [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I cannot get the paper jam error to clear - I have unplugged the printer, rebooted by laptop and still the error keeps appearing. There is no paper in the machine and the path is clear of any paper. Any assistance would be very helpful! Thank you.

Canon MP600 says no paper when there is paper [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying tp print from Canon MP600 but get message "there is no paper. load paper and press OK" There is paper in feeder - any idea of what solution might be ? Thanks

Air handler horizontal left hand or right hand? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference in a horizontal left hand or horizontal right hand application as far as an air handler? Also, which end would be the return and/or supply? The "a" coil is at one end and the blower motor is at the other end. Thanks

View more questions Search