Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chorito Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Retired with children still at home - TAXABLE?
    My husband is retired. He receives Soc. Sec. and a small pension. Our two children still at home and I, also, receive Soc. Sec. checks. Most of our income is not considered "Taxable", and since we still have children at home and don't make a lot, we were told that we do not need to file income taxes. Are we losing out on some benefit by not filing? Can we claim interest paid on mortgages and credit cards? Thank You!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Yes they said that if you file your ssi this year I think it is a 1020a that you can possibly get the rebate that they are giving out this year. My son and some friends of mine get the ss disability and are each getting $300. Back. ]
    You should look for an independent tax place they tend to charge around $25. Whereas H and R charges over $100.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 06:59 PM
    I agree that you should file this year. You shouldn't owe anything, but there is an extra benefit for all who file this year, even those on social security. It is called an economic stimulus refund. You should file by April 15th, so as not to be late. It is also suggested that you try to have your refund direct deposited into your bank account if possible, so that you can get the refund back as quickly as possible. If the refund is mailed to you, it will take longer... possibly over a month longer to get the refund.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2008, 12:22 AM
    Yes, you should both file your 2007 tax return. IRS wants you to file Form 1040A, which has been modified only for this purpose. By filing you will get stimulus rebate payment.
    If you have dependents, claim them. If they are eligible for child tax credit, you will get additional stimulus rebate.

For more information on the filing Form 1040A and how much rebate you will get read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Are You Eligible for 2008 Stimulus Tax Rebate Payment?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult Children Living At HOme [ 19 Answers ]

I have an adult child who lives at home who does not want to adhere to the rules that my husband and I have set. She does not do chores and stays out all night long. Also, whereas we recognize we cannot choose the company he associates with, we are not happy that she is dating a questionable...

Son wants to bring children home. [ 6 Answers ]

My son is in the USAF. In Jan 2007 he was shipped to Iraq. My daughter-in-law ( in AZ), who just found out she was pregnant with second child, went home to her mother's house ( NY). I sent her money to help . She assured me she was going back to him in May, when he was due home from Iraq. She has...

Home schooling for autisic children. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, my name is rosey, I am a mother of an autisic 3 year old little boy. We currently live in northwest Indiana. I am considering home schooling my son, I was wondering if I can hear from some other parents of austisic children that are currently being home schooled. How early can they start?...

My education or my children & home? [ 35 Answers ]

I have three children and one of which has ADHD. All my children are struggling in school and are always needing my help with homework. I finished my Associates in Science degree in Dec 06 at a local community college with a 3.87 gpa. I am currently a premed major and plan to either go to...

QUICKBOOKS Inventory Items taxable or non-taxable [ 0 Answers ]

I have Quick Books Basic. Our small business sells clothing. Recently moved from Pennsylvania (where clothing is a non-taxable item) to Washington (where clothing is a taxable item) So inventory items were all entered in Pennsylvania as non-taxable. And now that we are in Washington they ought...

View more questions Search