Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fogcitymom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Needing to leave CA with children
    Due to job loss and lack of affordable housing, I need to leave California with my children, aged 3 and 2. Father is under a 5-year DV restraining order. Paternal grandfather may visit, and may include father as supervisee, but no schedule was ordered. I have sole legal and physical custody. What do I need to do in order to relocate to live with a relative who has offered us a home in another state?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 5, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Nothing. If you have sole physical and legal custody and there is no court ordered visitation you are free to move.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Looks like there may be some court ordered custody by way of the Grandmother / Dad. It may not be much but she will have to get permission from the courts to move. The facts that are being stated lack of affordable housing isn't exactly true. Yes its expensive there in the big city but the outskirts are still affordable. So just the thinking of running away will make it better doesn't hold true. The OP makes no reference to continuing visitation that is already ongoing. And could change once the Dad proves himself to get past the DV restraining order.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 6, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3
    Looks like there may be some court ordered custody by way of the Grandmother / Dad.
    I must disagree. I think you are reading too much into what she said. First she specified she has SOLE legal AND physical custody. Second she specified "no schedule was ordred". She said the grandfather "may" visit.

The key here really is the first two. With sole legal and physical custoday and the absence of a visitation order there is nothing legal preventing her from moving.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Feel free to move to another state as you have no untoward court orders not to move without prior permission. Check your court papers just to be sure and if you don't see anything regarding moving without permission, then you can do just that - move out of California. The housing there is far from affordable anywhere in the state unless you want to live in a closet that is. If you have a chance to reside elsewhere - then move. You will probably be able to get a better job there as well. Right now the housing situation for affordable housing is non existent in a lot of areas and California is definitely one of them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 11:23 AM
    The OP needs to come back and answer a few questions, IS there a term in the child custody agreement that you can not move ? If there is, you will need to get the courts permission.

If there is no clause in there you can merely move
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 10:30 AM
    I read the following today and thought it was relevant to this question, especially the last sentence, which I have bolded:
    In the recent case of In re Marriage of Brown & Yana, supra, 37 Cal.4th 947, 955â€'956, the California Supreme Court explained: "California's statutory scheme governing child custody and visitation determinations is set forth in the Family Code... ." Under this scheme, 'the overarching concern is the best interest of the child.' [Citation.] [¶] For purposes of an initial custody determination, section 3040, subdivision (b), affords the trial court and the family '"the widest discretion to choose a parenting plan that is in the best interest of the child."' [Citation.] When the parents are unable to agree on a custody arrangement, the court must determine the best interest of the child by setting the matter for an adversarial hearing and considering all relevant factors, including the child's health, safety, and welfare, any history of abuse by one parent against any child or the other parent, and the nature and amount of the child's contact with the parents. [Citations.] [¶] Once the trial court has entered a final or permanent custody order reflecting that a particular custodial arrangement is in the best interest of the child, 'the paramount need for continuity and stability in custody arrangementsand the harm that may result from disruption of established patterns of care and emotional bonds with the primary caretakerweigh heavily in favor of maintaining' that custody arrangement. [Citation.] In recognition of this policy concern, we have articulated a variation on the best interest standard, known as the changed circumstance rule, that the trial court must apply when a parent seeks modification of a final judicial custody determination. [Citation.] Under the changed circumstance rule, custody modification is appropriate only if the parent seeking modification demonstrates 'a significant change of circumstances' indicating that a different custody arrangement would be in the child's best interest. [Citation.] Not only does this serve to protect the weighty interest in stable custody arrangements, but it also fosters judicial economy. [Citation.] [¶] The Family Code contemplates that, in making a custody determination, consideration of the best interest of the child may lead the trial court to award custody either to both parents (joint or shared custody) or to only one parent (sole custody)." (Fn. Omitted.) In that case, the Supreme Court held that where sole legal and physical custody of a child has been awarded to one parent after a contested custody dispute, a noncustodial parent opposing the custodial parent's decision to relocate with the child is not entitled to an evidentiary hearing. (Id. At pp. 952, 955.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Needing to know [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I bought a mobile home 5 years ago from clayton homes, since buying the home we have had nothing but problems with vanderbilt mortgage with them calling us saying that we are late on payments when were not. I done a search on the net on them " vanderbilt mortgage" and found a site...

Can I leave state with my 2 children? [ 2 Answers ]

There are NO court papers. Never married to the father. I want to move to OH from AZ in a month. I know AZ is a mother state but is it legal for me to move? Can he make me come back if he goes to court? I live with the father. But want out of the relationship. Yes the father's name IS on the birth...

Indiana laws for making adult children leave your residence. [ 2 Answers ]

My 19 year old step-son moved in with my husband and myself a few months ago. He had a few rules to follow, i.e. no smoking in the house, keeping his job, etc. He did not pay for rent, he did not buy groceries, he didn't pay any household bills, he was out no money except his cologne and gas for...

I want to leave the State with Children [ 3 Answers ]

I have been separated for 11 years. We have two teen aged chldren that have lived with me the whole time. I want to move out of state with them to be near family and I have a better job where I am wanting to move. Problem is their father has Huntington's disease and I wanted him to move with us so...

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

View more questions Search