Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shiek65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Kicked out
    Our landlord sold the house to their son and they said we have to move out before our lease is up. Do we have to move or if we do move do we have to pat rent for those months
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 04:26 PM
    If you have a written lease then by law you don't have to move out before the lease ends. If they want you out earlier then tell them they have to pay you at least 2 months worth of rent plus your moving expenses.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Lisa is 100 percent correct, unless there is some clause in your rental agreement ( lease) that voids it if the property is sold, the new landlord is obligated to honor the lease. So they can give you notice to move at the end of the lease, but can not kick you out before that.

If they want to buy your lease out, that is pay you to move, you can agree but do not have to.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2008, 09:23 PM
    While I wouldn't generally argue with Lisa Chuck, isn't there sometimes a provision in the law that a landlord can evict the tenant if the property is being taken off the market to provide housing for relatives? At least there appears to be in Los Angeles. (The landlord seeks in good faith to recover possession of the rental unit for use and occupancy by the landlord, or the landlord's spouse, children, or parents, provided the landlord is a natural person and not a corporation or partnership) So, it appears that the landlord could evict the tenants if they want to move into the place. I have no idea if this is a common clause in the law or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting kicked off line [ 6 Answers ]

I keep getting kicked offline... Any ideas? I have Norton virus protection and it says everything is fine. Thanks in advance.

Kicked out [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, so this one confuses me. If you are under 18, and your parent(s) kick you out, and you leave because they don't want you in their house, do they have the right to call you in as a run-a-way juvinile? And if they do, what happens if you tell them that you were kicked out and have witnesses?

Can she be kicked out? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a question. My sister and her boyfriend in of 7 years have bought a home together in Ohio through a bank a couple months ago. Both names are on loan and deed. They have 5 kids... 2 are hers and his, 3 are his and someone else's. Anyway he said he wants her and her kids out in 30...

Roommate kicked her out [ 2 Answers ]

My daughters roommate told her to move out . So she did now she wants next months rent and won't give her her half of security deposit back . What can she do about this

View more questions Search