Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcmom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 09:03 PM
    Divorce
    I would like 2 know how I can keep my house without having 2 buy my husband out.He is very verbally abusive 2 my girls and myself.Is their any organizations that could help me keep my home and afford to make the payment on my own?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2005, 09:32 PM
    House
    When you divorce, try to win the house in the settlement.

As for as payment, the payment is to the lender, it remains the same.
    You will not have to buy the husband out if the court merely gives it to you. If not you would have to either buy him out or let the house be sold.

Best, very best advice, get a good divorce attorney and do exactly what they tell you to do.
    mcmom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 09:41 PM
    Divorce
    Thank you Fr Chuck for your response.I will seek a lawyer and hope for the best.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmom
    I would like 2 know how I can keep my house without having 2 buy my husband out.He is very verbally abusive 2 my girls and myself.Is their any organizations that could help me keep my home and afford to make the payment on my own?
    Just for future reference, this site is organized with subforums within forums. Each forum is a broad area of interest, the subforums within are more specific areas. Within each subforum are threads started by members. When posting, it is better to use a subforum that relates to your question and to use a thread (or better yet, start one) that pertains to your question.

This subform is specifically for people to introduce themselves to other members. There is a Family Law subform in the Family and People forum that would be more appropriate for help with divorce issues.
    polar Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmom
    Hi I am from PA.This is my first time using this site.
    Hi,
    This is my first time also I'm from u.k.:)
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2006, 08:41 PM
    Speak to a credit counseling agency such as Profina. Although they don't deal in mortgages they'll probably know of an agency that does. If your husband's name is on the deed along with yours, then legally 1/2 the house is his and you will have to buy out his interest, his abusive behavior notwithstanding.
    tlgc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 07:59 AM
    My husband quit his job and abandoned our 3 children and myself in May '05 and has moved into his disceased fathers home that he is now part owner of. He has not paid any of our bills since he left and has been ordered by the judge to pay child support and catch up on the mortgage payments by the end of Jan. '06. I haven't received any child support and the mort. Payments still aren't up to date. I personally have to pay half of a payment each month which started in Dec.'05, and I have done that. Drugs are suspected (which was a problem in the past), and now a confirmed girl friend. I'm hoping to be awarded our house. My husband's name is on the mortgage and our names are on the deed. I haven't worked full time since we bought this house in 1997because my mother "which had Alzheimers had come to live with us" and we used her retirement income to supplement mine, "which was about 35,000. A year. I previously owned 2 homes of my own and he hasn't. I'm hoping to find a loop hole in being able to keep our home and not disrupt the children anymore than already has been done.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tlgc
    My husband quit his job and abandoned our 3 children and myself in May '05 and has moved into his disceased fathers home that he is now part owner of. He has not payed any of our bills since he left and has been ordered by the judge to pay child support and catch up on the mortgage payments by the end of Jan. '06. I haven't received any child support and the mort. payments still aren't up to date. I personally have to pay half of a payment each month which started in Dec.'05, and I have done that. Drugs are suspected (which was a problem in the past), and now a confirmed girl friend. I'm hoping to be awarded our house. My husband's name is on the mortgage and our names are on the deed. I haven't worked full time since we bought this house in 1997because my mother "which had Alzheimers had come to live with us" and we used her retirement income to supplement mine, "which was about 35,000. a year. I previously owned 2 homes of my own and he hasn't. I'm hoping to find a loop hole in being able to keep our home and not disrupt the children anymore than already has been done.

You would have to deal with it in the divorce settlement. In the settlement, you can take the house and most of the debt to better balance out the total equity that each of you get.

Equity = Assets – Liabilities
    bessie50 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 09:40 AM
    My husband has moved out of the marital home and in with his new girlfreind is this classed as desertion and can I keep the house on these grounds
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2006, 09:44 AM
    HI,
    This original post is over 2 months old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keeping my background still [ 9 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to keep the background on my webpage from scrolling with the text? I have an image I'd like to use and have the test scroll over it. I'm farely new to HTML so be thorough. Thanks

Keeping turkeys out [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have a large garden every year that produces veggies like crazy. (A friend calls our back yard "the Napa Valley of Maine" because the garden does so well.) The one problem is with or corn crop: Wild turkeys come through and knock all the corn stalks over just before the corn is...

Keeping the crunch in your canning... [ 2 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedWhen canning how would one keep the peppers and other vegy's crunchy, this year when I open something I canned 7 month ago I want CRUNCHY not soggy,, HELP!!!! Thanks Ladycanning :o

Chapter 13, divorce and the house [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings! Here's my situation. I am 1 month away from divorce trial. I have been in Chapter 13 bankruptcy and made all my payments for the last 16 months. My duration is 42 months. My wife is the co-petitioner on the Ch 13. We were exempted $40,000 on the equity of our home. The current...

Keeping my son in bed [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr old boy that is difficult to keep in bed. We recently (2 weeks)moved him from his brothers room (where he slept in his brothers bed and in his own bed) to his own room. At bedtime, we put him in bed and walk out of the room. Moments later, he comes out. We then put him back...

View more questions Search