Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michelle0227 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 11:02 AM
    How do I go about having the father of my child sign his rights away?
    So I am a single mother, my daughter will be 2 at the end of December. Her father has not been here the whole time. I have been doing it on my own. I get 150 dollars a month child support but I would gladly give that up to have him sign his rights away. I know that if I were to come to him with the papers he would do it if it meant he wouldn't have to pay child support to me. He has a total of 5 kids and only sees one of them. Any advice on how I get things started?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
    First of all, signing away rights has nothing to do with child support. He will still be required to pay.

Signing away rights simply means that he will not have any power in making decisions about the health, wellbeing, and raising of the child. He will still be obligated to pay unless there is an adoption in process. Such as if you re-married and your new husband would like to adopt the child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 06:23 PM
    So the father has never been there, why do you need him to sign away his rights then?? If he is not there, he is not using or taking advantage of any of those rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father sign over rights? [ 2 Answers ]

My 4 month old son has no father on his birth certificate and the father said he would sign over his rights. If I have a document that I print up for him to sign over his rights and have it notarized then can that be good enough instead of going to a lawyer? Then I am getting married and can he...

Force father to sign away rights [ 2 Answers ]

My question is... as a mother with sole legal and physical custody of my child... can I force the biological father to sign away his parental rights if he refuses?

Can a father sign rights over [ 15 Answers ]

My question is... can a father sign his rights over to the child's mother or does there have to be a third party involved for the biological father to sign his rights over to? In other words... my sister had a baby with a man who is not currently present in the child's life. She wants him to sign...

Father wants to sign over rights in FL [ 2 Answers ]

My son's father keeps threating to sign over his rights, he said he does not need my permission and I can't stop him. He only wants to do this because he has just gotten a job and now has to pay. We have not received anything from him in almost a year, can he really do this and can I do anything to...

How do I get the father of my children to sign over rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 23 and have 2 children by the same man. We have had an on/off relationship for the past 4 years. Recently We broke up for the last time when he hurt me physically for the first time. I would really like to get our lives on track and have a better life. I would perfer for him to not be in it. ...

View more questions Search