Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kellykaefer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
    4 year old / accidents / protest urinating
    Please give me some advice. About 2 months ago, we homed a 4 year old female dog which never pays any attention to us and seems to protest pee and sometimes poo. We want to love her so much, but it is so frustrating. She does it in the middle of the night, while we are at work, when we get the hoover out and turn it on or when we close the door to the room she is in... even if it is for a couple of minutes. We always have th backdoor open for her to go in the garden any time she wishes and take her for walks 3 times a day, but as soon as any of the above happen, she wets the carpet... sometimes in the same spot, often in new spots. Please give me any advice you can offer.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Thank you for choosing to adopt a dog!

When you rehouse a dog it can be very frustrating because you don't know what he/she has been through prior to living with you. It may very well be that she was never housebroken properly and/or she is very fearful of loud noises. In any event, an older dog takes longer to relax and adjust to a new home. You might want to go back to square one with the housebreaking training AND all family members need to assert their Alpha positions. Labman has information regarding basic housebreaking techniques in his sticky at the top of the dog forum. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809
    You might also want to take a look at his suggested reading list included in that link. There are some excellent books on that list that will give you a better understanding of how a dog processes what is going on around him/her.
    Labman also has some excellent info regarding asserting yourself as the leader of the pack (Alpha position). It isn't included in that link but I am sure once he sees your post he will stop by and give you that information. Please be patient. He usually stops by at some point in the evening or by morning.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 04:10 PM
    The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 Year old not Urinating [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old daughter who is fully potty trained. Everything has been going fine up until a few weeks ago she went to the hospital for dehydration from a stomach virus. Ever since she got back she has been drinking OK and keeping liquids down, but urinating less and less. Now she just...

Peaceful Protest [ 4 Answers ]

What do I need to do to organize a peaceful political protest at my state capital?

Peaceful Political Protest [ 2 Answers ]

What do I need to do to stage a peaceful political protest at my state capitol?

Male 4 year old urinating in house [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Male Pomeranian. He is not fixed. He has continually made mess in the house. I thought I had him trained, but after getting him a female companion, he has resumed his marking.. How can I correct this?

Car Accidents [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know what if anything a person could do if they were involved in a accident 7 or 8 months ago and it was never turned in to insurance. I was involved in an accident where I hit someone else's car... after the accident she told me that she would not turn it in to the insurance if I...

View more questions Search