Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ub1998 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Abandonment of child
    I have a 13 year of daughter from a previous marriage. I have been married for over 9 years now to my husband, my ex-husband has not attempted contact in over 8 years and I have never, never received any child support. I have not attempted, because my ex-husband was very abusive and even after my divorce he still came around with guns stating he was going to kill me. I have never really tried to do much, I just wanted him out of my life and away. Now, my daughter is 13 and wants her name the same as mine, my husband and our other two daughters. What can I do, I do believe my ex-husband has moved to La. What can I do, to change take away his parental rights, so my husband can now take care of her, should something happen to me? :confused:
    mcrofoo1 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 09:33 AM
    I was a child in that situation. My step father adopted me which gave me his last name on my birth certificate and made him legally my father so when they were divorced he was the one that was paying child support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Your husband needs to formally adopt your daughter. To do that you will need to terminate the father's parental rights. To file the petition, you will need an attorney. The attorney will advise you how to terminate his rights. There are procedures you need to go through depending on local laws. Under the circumstances you shouldn't have too much of a problem terminating rights due to abandonment. But you NEED a attorney to navigate through Family court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment of a child [ 5 Answers ]

I have a sixteen year old niece that is being raised by her widowed mother. She has one more year in high school and is the captain of her dance team at school and does very well in school. Her mother grauated nursing school 3 years ago and just recently has been accepted to a physician assistants...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a qustion about child abandonment. My son's biological father hasn't seen his son since 9mons of age, my son is now 3yrs old. He does pay child support, not enough in my opinion. I haven't seen him (son's father) since our last court date which was Feb. 05'. I have met a wonderful man...

Child Abandonment [ 6 Answers ]

I'm a teenager looking for an answer? I want to know how abandond children feel? And for those who aren't abandond how do you feel about the subject? And I want to know what gives the parents the strength the power to leave?:(

Child Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

How long does it take for a parent to have not seen or made no contact with their biological child for it to be considered child abaondment in the state of Illinois?

View more questions Search