Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurenjd Posts: 50, Reputation: 6

Jun 26, 2007, 10:25 AM
    What exactly is blasphemy?
    I'd like to know what exactly is blasphemy? The unforgivable sin.

A friend of mine at church used to be a Satanist. He knew who God was, but hated Him and worshiped the Devil. He did it all, and I mean ALL!

But now this friend is born again, and leads many to God through his testimony.

Knowing him years ago, you'd say he definatily blasphemed the Lord, but here he is today!

I'd like to know how you guys feel about this??
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Jun 27, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Hello laurenjd,

What is blasphemy against the spirit? It emanates from the heart, revealing a malicious attitude and intent. The purposeful intent to oppose God’s holy spirit intensifies the seriousness of this sin. To illustrate: In some parts of the world, the law distinguishes between murder in the first degree and murder in the second degree on the basis of intent and the way the murder was committed, and it limits capital punishment (death) to intentional or premeditated murder.
    The apostle Paul was formerly a blasphemer but said: “I was shown mercy, because I was ignorant.” 1 Timothy 1:13 To sin against the holy spirit is to oppose it willfully. It involves a wicked heart condition that reaches the point of no return.

Your friend did not know God truly, did he? If he didn’t then he could not have committed the unforgivable sin.

Blasphemy can be forgiven. But the blasphemy against the God’s spirit can not be forgiven. Once one knows the true God and then commits blasphemy purposely then they are committing the unforgivable sin if it is out right against God’s spirit.

One needs to understand what they are doing and must TRULY KNOW THE TRUE GOD. If they are not totally aware of what they are doing they will and can be shown mercy by God as Paul was. Relax It sounds as if your friend did not understand the ramifications of his actions, thereby he could not have committed the unforgivable sin.

Take care,
    Hope12
    Bubbler Posts: 69, Reputation: 13

Jun 27, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Hi laurenjd
    In the New Testament Mark 3:22-30 & Matthew 12:22-32. The term blasphemy may be generally defined as "defiant irreverence." We would apply the term to such sins as cursing God, or willfully degrading things relating to God. It is also attributing some evil to God, or denying Him some good that we should attribute to Him. This case of blasphemy, however, is a specific one, called "THE blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" in Matthew 12:31. In Matthew 12:31-32, the Pharisees, having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that the Lord was possessed by the demon "Beelzebub" (Matthew 12:24). Now notice that in Mark 3:30 Jesus is very specific about what exactly they did to commit "the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit."
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 10:19 AM
    I would just like to point out he couldn't have been a Satanist as they don't worship the devil. He may have been a devil worshipper but that's different. It's like calling a Christian a Hindu. Sorry just want to stop the spread of misinformation.

As for your original question I am woefully underqualified so will keep schtum. Although a Baptist friend of mine has mentiond similar things to Hope's post to me before.
    Universal Truth Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Jun 27, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Blasphemy is a contradiction. It technically can't exist. It's like that idea of Jesus being able to microwave a burrito so hot that he himself couldn't eat it.

The only way to truly "know" god is to be God. I mean, look at all your friends and ask yourself how many of them truly "know" you. How many of them know exactly what you would do in any situation, and what your plans are? No one.

So, if blasphemy is going against the will of god, once you truly "know" him, and obviously we are not God, then blasphemy cannot be a part of our lives. Unless someone wants to argue that we are made in gods image, and that in denying ourselves, is denying god. In which case, not doing what we want is blasphemy. However, this seems counter-intuitive since I doubt anyone actually "wants" to be God.
    laurenjd Posts: 50, Reputation: 6

Jun 27, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Universal Truth
    Blasphemy is a contradiction. It technically can't exist. It's like that idea of Jesus being able to microwave a burrito so hot that he himself couldn't eat it.

The only way to truly "know" god is to be God. I mean, look at all your friends and ask yourself how many of them truly "know" you. How many of them know exactly what you would do in any situation, and what your plans are? No one.

So, if blasphemy is going against the will of god, once you truly "know" him, and obviously we are not God, then blasphemy cannot be a part of our lives. Unless someone wants to argue that we are made in gods image, and that in denying ourselves, is denying god. In which case, not doing what we want is blasphemy. However, this seems counter-intuitive since I doubt anyone actually "wants" to be God.
    Are you a believer in the Word of God, the Bible?

Jun 27, 2007, 02:40 PM
    I fail to see how my beliefs can be of any consequence to this discussion. Whether I believe in God or not, makes no difference. The topic is "what is blasphemy" and to the guy who so eloquently stated "look at the question..." I gave a decisive answer to that which was in question. Granted most of you will not like it, but that's not the point.

I stand behind what I said- Blasphemy is nothing that humans can do. Blasphemy does not exist. There is no such thing as the "perfect" sin. It contradicts the essence of a forgiving nature. With that said, I can understand why God wouldn't care if your friend started going to church, or why the church accepts rapists and murderers into their fellowship. It's really not a matter of how bad can one be, or how well do you know the lord. It's only about what you believe. Why would God create something, or HOW would God create something that he himself couldn't forgive... hence my reference to the burrito and jesus.

People disagree with me because I point out discrepancies. I don't say they are fact, I don't claim to know everything, and I definitely don't claim to have better advice on any one subject. I simply question the logic, and point out alternatives. In reality, all I do is state the obvious, you know- the stuff that people don't need to believe because it's blatanlty obvious. Unfortunately, this is the stuff most people forget to account for.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jun 29, 2007, 12:14 AM
    Blasphemy is to make fun of, and He said all manner of blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men. Whosoever shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost will never be forgiven in this world or the world to come

Jul 31, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Metallic...

First of all, I think you should always form your response using a complete sentence. It would be easier to understand.

Second, you assume that Jesus is the son of God, or God himself. It's an assumption that religions take on faith alone... Hence the reason it's a "belief"

Since life is based on perception, logic, and reason, I can justly state that blasphemy against such belief is impossible and thus does not exist. I can provide evidence to back this by stating that there are exceptions to what may be called blasphemy. For example -

If I were to say "I hate God" and mean it with a whole heart. I would be committing something that is blasphemous. However, since by your definition of God, God is in everything and everyone, then by stating "I hate (anything)" I am in a sense hating God himself. This creates a paradox making everything blasphemous or nothing at all. Technically, God would be in my Hate as well, thus making God hate God, which again, by your definition would make God himself blaspheme his own system. Since God cannot, by definition, blaspheme himself, it is easy to see how the latter would be true. Making Blasphemy a thing of your imagination; folklore; or the catholic churches method of keeping people in line while they destroy anything that says otherwise.

In the future, if you care to explain your stand point, please do so with a coherent sentence
    SnaveLeber Posts: 103, Reputation: 5
    -

Aug 3, 2007, 10:26 PM
    Comment on Universal Truth's post
    I don't see at all how this was beneficial

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blasphemy Holy Spirit [ 12 Answers ]

I was in church one Sunday about 5 yrs ago and felt the Holy Spirit persuade me to go to the alter for salvation. I didn't go because I was a member of that church. Then I grew so severely depressed that I had to be hospitalized. One night I got to thinking that if I committed the unpardonable sin...

View more questions Search