Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Constance Priestess Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2007, 11:36 PM
    Stuck in between two friends' amorous actions
    Background:

Had been friends with a few people who I used to work and run together, including these two - one guy and one girl. Four years ago, she started having marital problems with her hubby, who used to join us in our mountain climbing expeditions, water rafting, runs, etc. This guy friend broke up with his then girlfriend. Guy and girl got together and provided "moral support' to each other.

Over the years, our group has moved on as we changed jobs but still make an effort to meet for each other's birthdays. However, my girlfriend's hubby was never seen in our circle anymore.

Today:

Guy and girl are constantly acting out as if they're the couple in our birthday get-togethers. Nobody said anything, I began feeling more and more uncomfortable over the years. I've accidentally seen them touching each other (when they thought nobody was watching/around) and at other times, they were never shy on allowing their physical contact moving beyond "friends" in front of me. Example, I would punch his ear if he was ever to rub his hands on my thigh. He did it to her, and she was enjoying it. I was shifting weird at my dinner seat. This took place in public in front of me.

I kind of withdrew myself from them. They pressed me for an explanation. I told them I just needed some time to think things through. The affection didn't stop, and I was caught mouth agape when my boyfriend (who's new to the group) asked me on whether this guy and girl are actually a couple?

Question:

What is very obvious is that these two don't make any effort to conceal their spending time together to the point that it's too close for comfort. I am trying to love these two friends but I can't help losing my respect for them. My girlfriend recently made an obvious effort to "convince" me that no matter "what" happens, her hubby is whom she would "stay" with. The guy and I had almost virtually stop talking.

We are getting together soon as a big group and I just don't know how long I can turn the other way so that I don't feel like vomitting when I see these two characters. I am disappointed and perhaps I am just naïve into believing that once someone takes a vow, they honour it no matter how hard the road to marital bliss is? That someone, if he cares for his friend, he won't knowingly step into her marriage?

Appreciate your thoughts on moving on. I like the other buddies in our group but it seems weird that they are all nonchalant about the whole thing taking place in front of us.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 15, 2007, 11:56 AM
    As you are not the arbiter of another's morality, then you ignore them, and put your attentions on things and people you like. What those two do is their business, and their problem, not yours. Not to be harsh, but just have a good time, without being judgemental.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Your other friends in the group may not be nonchalant as much as they are obilivious or maybe just ambivialent. Many people don't pay any attention to anyone else besides themselves or just don't know what to do about it, so act like nothing is wrong.

You can't stop them. Your girlfriend is aware of your disapproval, but it doesn't appear to be a deterrent. Seems like all you can do at this point is be polite in group settings and distance yourself from them and seek out new friends that don't make you uncomfortable.
    Tootruetooblue Posts: 61, Reputation: 17

Jun 15, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Call me old fashioned but I don't think we have to ignore when our friends do things that we find to be inconsiderate, immoral, hurtful, illegal or whatever. I think that people's behavior is really what we base our friendship on because it is how we come to know who they are.

I don't think you should get involved, but you are perfectly appropriate to stop hanging out with adulterous people if their overtly inappropriate behavior in your presence makes you uncomfortable. They are being idiots in my view. As much as it's popular to "live and let live", this woman's husband is being treated like crap, and it's appropriate for you to have empathy and discomfort about that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help understanding my Ex-Girlfriend's actions [ 7 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend left me a voicemail asking me how I was about a week ago. Then she talked to me early on Valentine's Day but her cousin was on the phone with her and the call was short like 5-10 mintues. Her cousin then called me a few days later with her on HIS phone and the call was short...

Do I believe his words or his actions? [ 4 Answers ]

I met my person online. We started as friends, but then feelings for each other developed. We had been talking about a month and a half when I went on vacation, and we saw each other during that time. Pre-vacation, we got close and deep and shared a lot with each other. We'd talk every single...

Why are his actions so different from his words? [ 17 Answers ]

I have been living with my boyfriend for about a year... I will start with the positives, he is a hard-working decent and honest man with values that mirror mine... he is caring and kind and never raises his voice. Now the bad... He almost never touches me for the sake of being affectionate......

Taking responsibility for your own actions [ 2 Answers ]

:'( Well me and my boyfriend have been together for 6 months. We had known each other for awhile before we started dating. We love ech other very much but now it's like daniel tries so hard to make me happy that he tells me what I want to hear instead of what's on his heart. When I...

View more questions Search