Month old baby has a stuffy nose and a cough

Asked Feb 9, 2006, 10:22 PM 13 Answers
    I have a month old baby. He has a stuffy nose and a cough. I took him to his doctor but the doctor says he's too young to take medicine. He has hard time sleeping, and I don't know what to do anymore, any suggestions what to do?

Last edited by MommySam; Feb 10, 2006 at 01:56 AM.
    CaptainForest's Avatar
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,646, Reputation: 392

#2

Feb 9, 2006, 11:03 PM
    I am sorry for the passing of your son... oh, he's still alive. May I suggest you click on the Edit button in your post and change your words "I had a month old baby" to "I HAVE a month old baby".

I don't know much about babies, but you are taking him to a special baby doctor, and not your regular doctor, right?

Babies typically have iritic sleeping patterns I thought at that age. Isn’t that why parents always wake up in the middle of the night when they have new borns?

Assuming you have taken him to a special baby doctor (the name eludes me…it’s late, please give me a break). Anyway, assuming you have taken him to a special baby doctor and he is too young to give medicine to, perhaps some kind of damp cloth. Warm or Cold, not sure which one, but something to sooth him and relax him.
    zylstra's Avatar
    zylstra Posts: 71, Reputation: 11

#3

Feb 10, 2006, 12:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Babies typically have iritic sleeping patterns I thought at that age.
    CaptainForest, when you were a baby you thought that other babies had sleeping patterns pertaining to their iris?

How about "I thought that babies at that age typically have erratic sleeping patterns."
    fredg's Avatar
    fredg Posts: 4,930, Reputation: 674

#4

Feb 10, 2006, 06:55 AM
    Hi, mommysam,
    Sounds like your baby might have a "common cold". I would take his temperature every so often, and if it starts going up, (over 101 degrees F) ,take him to a Pediatrician. A very high fever, over possibly 102 degrees F, can sometimes be dangerous.
    Here is a link with good explanations and what to do:
    http://www.babycentre.co.uk/refcap/78.html

I am not a Doctor, and all the above is from personal experiences over the past 30 years.
    I do wish you the best. Please look at the website above.
    NeedKarma's Avatar
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,378, Reputation: 1667

#5

Feb 10, 2006, 07:33 AM
    Welcome to parenthood! Young babies are indeed too young to take medication so they must 'suffer' through it. Of course what really happens is that we suffer through it as well through lack of sleep and worrying. But don't worry, all us parents have been through this, it sucks but it's part of the package... then it's on the teething!
    CaptainForest's Avatar

#6

Feb 10, 2006, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zylstra

Hehehe.

You are indeed right. I was tied when I wrote that. Erratic sleeping patterns are a lot better
    nwsflash's Avatar
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73
    Senior Member

#7

Feb 10, 2006, 12:56 PM
    One thing our doctor told us to try with my little boy, was to keep him warm, take him to the bathroom and run a bath of boiling water so there is loads of steam and just sit in the room with them with the steam which should help there nose and losen the chest... All you need to do is keep your child in your arms away from the water and let them get steamed... Just ensure that yourself and the child keep a good distance from the boiling water at all time's.

But please check with your doctor before trying this, every child is different. But we found steam really helped no end and its pure and drug free.
    happybisaya's Avatar
    happybisaya Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

#8

Feb 15, 2006, 12:27 PM
    Hello mommysam,
    Try using a humidifier in the baby's bedroom.
    fiona445's Avatar
    fiona445 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

#9

Jan 7, 2008, 11:22 AM
    I think using a vapour plgu in his room will make him feel a lot better and Humidified air (either with a humidifier or run the shower and steam up the room and go in for a little bit) will help loosen all the *gunk* and make sleeping a bit easier and help with the fussiness. C if that will help .x
    feelinquitesass's Avatar
    feelinquitesass Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

#10

May 23, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MommySam
    I have a month old baby. He has a stuffy nose and a cough. I took him to his doctor but the doctor says he's too young to take medicine. He has hard time sleeping, and i don't know what to do anymore, any suggestions what to do?
    Well I took my daughter into the hospital when she was a couple weeks and they said that if she seems stuffy or if she's coughing and she seems like she's not feeling good give them sweeties all it is, is sugar and water they say it relaxes them. They said it is completely safe and its OK to give it to them. Believe me it works for my baby and they love it. I got this info from Tucson Medical Center, and I asked her pedi he said its just fine. What it does is act like a pain medication for us, but instead it won't harm them at all, babies just react to pain and uncomfortableness(I know its not word but wutever) differently, the sugar in the water I guess lets off different types of endorfines or however that's spelled try it he might just relax and you won't have to give him medicine this way his immune system can become stronger by just fighting it off himself- I hope this was somewhat helpful otherwise I just wasted 5 min.

Year lease then month to month? [ 9 Answers ]

I live in Los Angeles California. I've lived in my apartment for over 1 year after signing a 12 month lease. Now that the 12 months on the lease are over, my landlord wants me to sign a new 12 month lease. I don't want to sign another 12 month lease. I may go to school in a few months and I'd...

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Property convert to month to month? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Wisconsin and I have been renting 2 back to back billboards of which one is subleased. The party did not renew the 5 year lease and the subleasee gave notice they were not renewing their lease. The problem is that the lease ended June 1st and they have not removed their...

6 month old Cockapoo suddenly turns his nose up to his food. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My 6 month old Cockapoo "Rocky" has been somewhat happily eating his **** Van Patten Natural Balance wet and dry mixed food. I mix equal parts of these two foods together: Wet: Canned Beef and Brown Rice, Duck and Potato, etc: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/UPDcanned.html...