Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timtails3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2007, 09:52 PM
    Light switch ineffective
    My son replaced the light switch in a bedroom in order to match the color to the new color scheme (he also changed out all the electrical outlets). The problem is that the new switch, the old switch, and another old switch no longer control the ceiling light/fan. The light (and fan) is on and can be turned off by the pull chain but the switch does nothing. I tested the switches with a continuity tester and got continuity when on and none when in the off position. Also successfully checked the wires for continuity.

Any suggestions what could cause this problem or what else I could try to resolve the problem? It's my ex-wife's house but I still don't want to burn it down. Lol

Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2007, 10:48 PM
    The fan/light is on a 3 or 4 way switch? They are tricky. Post back just what cables you have at each switch, 2 wire power feed, 3 wire connecting cable, and 2 wirecable to the light. To work, every wire needs to be on the right terminal, common and NOC and NCC.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2007, 01:12 PM
    How many switches are there in one bedroom for one fan/light?

Quote Originally Posted by timtails3
    The problem is that the new switch, the old switch, and another old switch no longer control the ceiling light/fan.
    Sounds like when the wiring got connected to the switch(es), the wire that should be on the Load side, got spliced or connected to the Line side(feed) of the switch.

I assume that the power was off when using the continuity tester. And the best, and only method, of using a continuity tester is that all the wires and switches were disconnected and splices taken apart, otherwise, false readings will be found.

As Labman asked, we really need to know, or see, more detail to help better.

Jan 13, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Still waiting to get back from my son to answer the clarification questions you've asked. I'll reply as soon as I have an answer. Thanks!

Jan 15, 2007, 05:34 PM
    OK. There are 5 wires coming into the box--a black and a white on the left side, and a black, a red, and a white on the right side. The previous owner of this house put the light/ceiling fans in. He spliced together the two white wires and taped them off. He also spliced the left black and the right red wires, leaving the right black wire and a left red wire. This all worked fine until they decided to put a switch in that was white instead of the yellow one that was there. Also, the two old switches have only 2 screws to attach wires; the new switch has 3. However, NONE of the switches work anymore.

I have also tried changing which screw I attached the 2 wires to in each case but it had no effect. The continuity tester still shows continuity when the 3 switches are in the 'on' position and not in the 'off' position. (Yes, the electricity is off when using the c tester.)

Thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Ok here is what I see:

Five wires at one switch, two blacks, two whites, one red:

ok. There are 5 wires coming into the box--a black and a white on the left side, and a black, a red, and a white on the right side.

Now another red wire pops up:
    He spliced together the two white wires and taped them off. He also spliced the left black and the right red wires, leaving the right black wire and a left red wire.
    Now how many switches are there?
    Also, the two old switches have only 2 screws to attach wires; the new switch has 3.

I am sorry but I am having a real hard time following you. Troubleshooting like this in written format,I hope you can understand is very difficult if the description is not clear.

Wires on the left or right just doesn't mean much. If you can use a voltage tester to at least identify the 120 volt feed, would be helpful

Now if you can draw a sketch or show some pictures along with a description we can probably help much better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch won't control light [ 2 Answers ]

I took down a ceiling fan and connected a new chandelier. Very basic white from light to white in ceiling, black from light to black from ceiling, ground to ground. There is also a pink wire from ceiling that I just capped. When I turned the fuse back on the light came on but the wall switches...

Moving my light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I know I should have an Electrician do this but it seems so simple. I want to move my light switch to the other side of the wall. Can I get the same wire they used and connect it to the existing wire to make it longer and snake it through the wall to where I want it? Also I have 1 outlet box but...

Light switch problem [ 3 Answers ]

This site has been such a great help I though I would ask you a question about an electrical problem we are having. I have a home that is 2 years old and noticed from day one that we had some light switches that would arc slight when they were turned on. It turned out that the were wired using the...

Light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a foyer light which is on a three way switch, one is a 1000 watt dimer. The other day the light would not work while switching the dimmer. I went to the other switch and flipped it and it worked. It has worked properly prior to this episode and now works properly again from both positions. I...

Two-way light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure how to fit an external light, taking it from a one-way switch & converting it into a Two-way, my kitchen light switch's are at either end of the room. So I went & brought a Two-way switch to fit in next to the back door of my kitchen. How do I transfer power to the extra switch that I...

View more questions Search