Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SugarMyLove Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Very, very long period!
    I'm 16, and I got my period about 4 yrs ago. It evened out after a year or two, and was, on average, about 7 days long. About a year ago I went vegetarian, and in the span of six months skipped about 3 periods... After that, things seemed back to normal, for a while.

About 3-4 months ago, however, my periods started getting really wacky. I've been bleeding for 2-3 weeks at a time, not heavily at all (on the heaviest days I'd go through 2-3 tampons). Then I'd have, like, 3 days off, and then start bleeding again. At the beginning and end of my period, the blood would be more so a light brown than the usual red. I get some cramping on the first day or two, nothing too bad, but otherwise there is no pain or anything.

I'd just like to know what you guys think about this... could it be something about me being a vegetarian? Is it temporary, and should I just wait it out? Could a lot of stress cause this (b/c according to some stress tests, I've had a very bad year... )?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 20, 2006, 03:01 PM
    Yes, stress can cause this. But not being a vegetarian.

You need to have this checked out by your doctor.

Also, a warning about tampon use. It can cause a deadly disease called toxic shock syndrome. The tampon needs to be changed no more than every 2 hours to avoid this.

Dec 20, 2006, 03:07 PM
    I can't tell my mother, though. She'll think it's because I'm vegetarian (She doesn't like that I am, at *all*)!
    Expert

Dec 20, 2006, 03:15 PM
    It is not because you are a vegetarian, most likely it is because of your hormones. But you need to have your hormones checked out by your doctor.

I understand that your mother is upset about you being a vegetarian, unless you know exactly what foods to eat, it actually can be unhealthy.

Dec 20, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Yeah, I know... I do my best to eat well. You know, lots of fruits, veggies, & grains. I don't think it's me being a vegetarian, either, but I just know she'll jump all over that as a reason.

Anyway, thanks for the help, and I'll try to think of a good way to bring it up.
    Expert

Dec 20, 2006, 03:25 PM
    You need to, especially since you are a vegetarian. You could be risking anemia caused by a long period and little protein. It is very important that you talk to your mom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent due-how long is grace period to pay? [ 4 Answers ]

I heard that when rent is due,there is a 5 day grace period to pay before you can be charged late fees. My question is- Is the grace period 5 days including weekends or is it 5 working days excluding weekends and holidays. I live in an apt in the state of California. ...

Help! Long Period... Can't see reason why! [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me... About 2 weeks before my last period was due I started getting heavy clear discharge. Then, when my period was due to start, instead of what for me is a normal period, I have been spotting for almost 3 weeks. The spotting is minimal and I only notice it when I urinate. It has...

Is my period lasting to long? [ 6 Answers ]

Today is my 4th day on my 1st period and it is showing no signs of slowing down or stopping. Everybody I've asked says it starts slowing down around the 4th and 5th day but mine isn't! Am I OK?? :confused:

Long-short-long [ 2 Answers ]

Hey you Okay I have a dilemma.For along time I had Long hair(almost to my butt)but then I started working out and it would get sweaty so I cut it shorter(wayyy shorter like I cut off over 20 inches)but now I kind of miss my long locks! All I can do is wait.But every time I had long hair somehow I...

Period lasting so long [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I went to the doctor and I figured out why my period was lasting so long. Now it stopped but I am now having a lot of discharge. The last time that happened I had a yeast build up now I can't keep going through this. I want to be free of all prolonged leakage. Can someone tell me what's going on...

View more questions Search