Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccktaj Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 10:47 AM
    2 yr. old boy holding food in the mouth
    I have a 2yr. Old boy whom me and my husband have obtained guardianship of. The last 2 months he has started to hold the food in his mouth. If it is something he doesn't like he will start gag so I know he is not holding the because he doesn't like it. It can be his 1st, 2nd or 3rd bite, it can be foods he likes. You can tell him to eat and he will continue to shove food in his mouth until he gags because he won't swallow. You can even give him a drink and he will swallow the liquid but not the food. You make him spit it out and he cries for food give him the food and he does the same thing all over again. Feed him the same thing next week and he will eat with no problems. Why and how do I stop this?
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Jan 29, 2010, 10:27 PM

If you feed him the same thing the next week and he eats, and he is gaining weight, and healthy, according to his doctor, then I wouldn't worry about it.
    He is still very young and can't possibly learn manners too much. My little one still throws the spoon and bowl when done eating, as much as I try to teach manners. Children do funny things with food when they are young toddlers. At least he doesn't spread the food around his hair. That should disappear in a matter of time and then his food habits will probably change into a different pattern, with other things that he will prefer. Toddlers are always changing.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 11:53 AM

Since you just obtained guardianship of this child have you inquired as to his recent past and how he was treated? He may have been denied food or given too much. Once he learns that food will not be withheld or he is forced to eat too much he will come to trust you and your husband when feeding him. Give him some reassurances when feeding time comes around. And let him try feeding himself and see if that solves the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Food invention (registration of a food product?) [ 12 Answers ]

I have thought up a good idea for a new food product and would like to offer it to a company, but to do that (I was informed by my dad) I need proof that this idea is mine so no one can steal it and such, registration of a food product? I need to know how to go on to this. A website perhaps? Please...

Boy meets girl. Boy falls for her. Girl has boyfriend. Boy is lost. [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all. Thanks for being here. I will try to explain my situation briefly. Hope you have the time to read and reply. I'm 23, virgin and never have kissed a girl. Been to worried about my professional life until now. Three months ago I've met a beautiful girl at university (project partner)...

The guy holding my hand and the guy holding my heart aren't the same? [ 10 Answers ]

I really like my ex still and I have a new boyfriend and he's so sweet and all, but I'm still just so in love with my ex and it makes me feel bad for my new boyfriend.. I mean I told my ex that I still like him and everything but the thing is is that he has a new girlfriend and so yeah I can't...

How to do you.S. Tax filling, I am holding H1, my wife and son are holding H4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am holding H-1B, my wife and son are holding H4. I was here in US for 2 times in 2006, June 7 days and December 14 days, my wife and son came here in December and stayed with me till last week of Jan'07. I want to file my returns for 2006. I am still working here on h-1B. My family will...

View more questions Search