Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shayvon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2009, 05:41 PM
    My sister and I signed a lease 1/1/08 for 1 year. At the end of the year we were bot
    My sister and I signed a 1 year lease 1/1/08. At the end of the year we were both to move out. My sister's plans fell through and she went back to the landlord and they agreed to a month to month lease. I was in no way involved in this. She has been there since but has not paid the rent for 11/09 and 12/09 and the landlord is taking both of us to court for eviction and nonpayment. Is he allowed to include me in this suit since I did not make this oral agreement with him?What are my options?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 28, 2009, 05:53 PM

What state are you in?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 28, 2009, 06:25 PM

So you moved out in 1/09? Can you prove it? If so, I would write to the landlord stating that since you moved out at the end of the lease you signed, you have no responsibility for rent after 1/09. You can add that, if he doesn't drop you from the suit, you will countersue for your costs in defending against the suit.
    shayvon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2009, 08:37 PM

I am in ny. I wrote a letter already to the landlord when he served the request for payment yet he still included me in the suit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 28, 2009, 08:44 PM

So write him another. Tell him you will file a countersuit and do so if he still doesn't drop you.

You have proof you moved when the lease expired. Its up to him to prove that you agreed to an extension. Since he can't prove it, you should win a counter suit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Signed a lease for 1 year and found the house is roach infested [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a year lease with a privately owned landlord for a condo in New Jersey. After moving into the apt, found out the place is heavily infested with roached, the paint is really bad and the condition of the house is not livable. This was not evident from the initial looks before signing the...

When should the year long lease end if started in the middle of the month [ 6 Answers ]

My tenant is moving in on 10/11/2009 with one year lease agreement. I will prorate her October month's rent. But, wanted to know when should her year long lease end legally? Should it end on 09/30/2010 or 10/31/2010 Thank you very much for your response.

I co-signed a 4 year lease and want out [ 2 Answers ]

So my girlfriend and I signed a 4 year lease together in August. We thought we would last forever and we didn't. So now I want to move out but need to find a way to get my name off the lease. I called the landlord and her only suggestion was that someone else move in in my place and sign their...

View more questions Search