Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2009, 07:38 PM
    Someone remind me
    And I repeat... when it rains it poors. On top of everything, my baby girl is sick :( she threw up at school and I picked her up early a little after lunch. We get home and she threw up again. She doesn't seem to have diariah (yet) but a fever of 102.

She has gotten colds and sore throats and a few ear infections. But this is her first flu (I checked with the school, there is no swine flu reported in the area at her school or the area around our place, both my moms and the old apartment)

So I can't quite remmeber from when I was little, all I remember is chicken soup and sprite and crackers and lots of love and special treats. (although from what I undrestand they discourage the sprite now a days so she has been drinking lots of 'smart water' its water with electrolites in it)

What I can't remember, is do you starve a fever, feed a cold, or is it starve a cold feed a fever?

She didn't want to each much of her chicken soup. She had a few crackers but that was it. I don't want to force her to eat, but I also don't want her to NOT eat you know? Being sick you need that energy for your body to draw on don't you?

Thanks in advance.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 4, 2009, 07:55 PM

Try getting her to eat some buttered toast. Sprinkling some sugar, and cinnamon if you have it, on it might help it taste better to her.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 07:48 AM

Pedialyte has electrolytes.
    Also even if there is no reported cases of swine flu you probably should get her checked because almost half the cases I hear reported on the news seem to be one isolated case. Also often with things for every one case that is reported there are a few unreported cases.

Also Tang or orange juice is great for flu and colds because it has vitamin C.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Forget the starve a fever feed a cold, or the feed a fever starve a cold... whatever it is.

She needs motrin... then 2 hours later tylenol... two hours later motrin, etc.

Popsicles. If she doesn't want to eat, don't make her. She will when she is ready.

Forget the swine flu. DON'T go to the ER. The ER (EMERGEnCY RoOM) is for emergencies OnLY! We had over 200 patients in our ER last night (we have a small rural hospital and a BuSY night is 50 patients) 90% of them had a cold, stomach flu, sinus problems. Unfortunately a man having a heart attack had to be flown out because too many people with simple viruses were waiting to be seen and we did not have the staff to handle the overflow.

Remember that a virus, the stomach flu, which it seems Ayla might have, is a virus. A virus cannot live in high temperatures, hence the fever which is killing the virus.

The Swine Flu (H1N1) is a virus. It will run its course. Unless Ayla has any other health problems such as asthma, bronchitis, etc, it's a virus just like other viruses. She will also develop somewhat of an immunity to it if you let it run its course.

Just as a side note, this week I had to take a certification on identification and treatment of H1N1 (Swine Flu) at work because I deal with the population who is at highest risk of complications from this virus.
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2009, 10:56 AM

Thanks everyone :)

We didn't have any motrin :( but we did tyenol and that kept her fever down. Its not swine flue. Its gone today and swine flu last longer than regular stomach bugs (at least that's what I've been told)
    So it sounds like that lovely 24 hour bug that I used to get as a kid in school. Lol.

Yeah I don't worry or stress about the swine flu like some others do. From what I understand, its just a flu that last a long time. And yes, without health care, or with other problems (like immune disorders) it can kill. But ayla is a healthy little girl and no health problems and access to a doctor if needed. So I wasn't worried.

Although I AM glad it wasn't swine flu, as ayla visited my grandma the other day (she has MS and ended up with a bad infection that almost turned septic during an MS attack, or it could have been vice versa, the infection could have caused the MS attack. But my grandma Definitely does NOT need exposure to the swine flu lol)

But she is better today :) thank you everyone for the advice. I took it all. She got lots of fluid rest and popcicles. And now she is eating fine again.

Thanks again everyone.

J, good luck with the high risk of swine flu in your patients hon.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 07:32 PM

Your daughter has never had the flu?

How the heck did you manage that?

My kids had so many flus and tummy bugs by the time they were 5 I lost count.

J9's recommendation is the best, lots of tlc ,motrin and tylenol to keep the fever down.

Sydney had a bad tummy bug a few years back. She ended up with feberal convulsions, it was horrible. We had to get her to the hospital by ambulance because she actually passed out, wouldn't wake up. So keep an eye on her temperature.
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2009, 08:27 PM

Oh she has been sick. Ear infections and colds and a sinus infection before. But she never really throws up. She would get diariah, and a fever. But other than spit up when she was a baby this is the first time she has had the 'throw up flu'

Ooh no is sydney OK now? Or does she still get the convulsions with fevers? :(
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    oh she has been sick. ear infections and colds and a sinus infection before. but she never really throws up. she would get diariah, and a fever. but other than spit up when she was a baby this is the first time she has had the 'throw up flu'

ooh no is sydney ok now? or does she still get the convulsions with fevers? :(
    Sydney's fever was very high, too high. When I took her temp with the ear thermometer it read 107, which isn't possible, but that's what it read. When the EMT took her temp in the ambulance she was at 105. They cooled her down fast. On the way to the hospital she woke up. I have never been more relieved when she looked at me, said "mommy" and started crying.

They thought she had a staph infection, that's what her original blood work said. They did it a second time because she was getting better so it couldn't possibly be staph. Turns out it was just a nasty bug. By the following day she was fine.

She's never had a temp that high since. Thank God.
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 10:52 AM

Oh poor baby. I'm glad she hasn't gotten a fever that high anymore!
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Oh Jennie I feel for you. Its so scary. My boy will be six years old in three weeks and he has never been sick to the point of scaring me until a few weeks ago. In all these years he had only had a few colds, one ear infection and strep throat. But a few weeks back it was hell. Throwing up, pooping, 104 fever for almost four full days. He lost three pounds. It was not good. One thing to keep in mind when asking about your children being sick please remember every child is an isolated case. They are all faced with different things and they all live different lifestyles. So even though I tell you this and someone says something else, you have your own individual child. Its best not to come on and start a thread and ask. Just go to the doctor. Its safe and faster.

I love you hon! I am so glad she is OK now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remind me of the rules! [ 2 Answers ]

Aa

What do you remind yourself? [ 8 Answers ]

When you're down and lost in thought about the breakup or your ex, is there something you remind yourself to get out of it? Is it a bad thing about the ex? Is it a run-through of the narrative of why things went wrong? Is it something positive about yourself? An affirmation? I keep reminding...

View more questions Search