Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcmeller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Still sucking her thumb
    My sister has a 10 year old that still sucks her thumb. :eek: Any suggestions on how we can break that habit?
    RedneckMama Posts: 103, Reputation: 17

Jun 5, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Try hot sauce on the thumb... or something equally disgusting to the kid...

Try bribing her: "If you go all day long w/out sucking your thumb, we'll go get you that so&so you've been wanting..."

Have you tried asking her WHY she does it? Maybe it's a calming technique she uses to relieve herself of stress... maybe you could buy her a diary and tell her that anytime she feels like she wants to suck her thumb, she should write down how she feels and why... at least that will draw her attention to the behavior and the feelings, and allow her to process all of that herself...

Good luck...
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Jun 6, 2008, 06:36 AM
    My 6 yr old sucks her thumb and I'm beginning to think it's a lost cause trying to get her to quit. We've even tried a pharmaceutical product called "Stopit!" that tastes disgusting, but she seemed to become immune to it after a while.

My brother sucked his thumb till he was about 14. He finally realised that it wasn't cool and stopped pretty much overnight.

What about setting up a reward-chart for her? After every 1/2 hr that she doesn't plug it in, she gets a sticker, then at the end she gets a nice little treat. Something like that anyway is all I can think of.

Incidentally, my Dad put iodine on my thumb when I was 5 which stopped me from sucking.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2008, 05:30 AM
    Borrow a microscope and take a swab of her thumb and place on slide. Let her view it. Trust me she will stop
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Don't worry about it - is another option.
    My child is 7 and still sucks her thumb. I was a thumb sucker until I was 12. Kids will grow out of it.

If she is doing it in public, at dinner, whatever - then put restictions on it. But if it a bedtime thing that gets the child settled or calmed down - just wait for this to pass. It will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thumb sucking [ 5 Answers ]

My friend who is almost 29 (next year) she still suck her thumb most of the time when sitting watching television. Why is that?

Thumb Sucking [ 8 Answers ]

All of this talking about Aidan has made me think of a question I have been wanting to ask. How do I stop him from sucking his thumb? He has never been fond of pacifiers, but he loves his thumb. His thumbs are already all dried out and chapped from him doing this. My sister was a thumb sucker...

How to stop thumb sucking [ 1 Answers ]

How do you stop a fourteen year old from sucking their thumb?

Thumb sucking [ 5 Answers ]

What should I do to stop my daughter from sucking her finger...

Thumb sucking [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is addicted to keep her thumb in mouth. She often do this when she feel sleepy. I tried several times to remove, but she is not. Can anyone suggest a best practive to avoid this. Please fast. Regards, Krishna _ India

View more questions Search