Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aahx3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Cannot insert tampon
    I have a question about tampons. I am 14 years old and a freshman in high school and I have had my period for about 2 years. I have a very heavy flow and I have never been able to insert a tampon and it is extremely frustrating. I have gone through many different brands and nothing ever works. I have tried the super thin and the very light, nothing. Is it my body? It's frustrating because my period always comes at the end of the month, for me that is the worst time, that is when winter break, spring break, my birthday, Christmas, that's when it all comes and I'd like to be able to swim or something during those times, but I never can. Plus, in sophomore year I have to do a swim unit for a semester and I'm already concerned about it because of this problem.

Any advice?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Hun, have you talked to your mother about this? Are you a virgin? If you are a virgin it may be because you still have your hymen intact, this can cause wearing a tampon to be very uncomfortable.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Dec 22, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Have you ever had a women's health exam? Your doctor could probably tell you if it is a physical problem or not. Personally, I couldn't put them it when I was your age either. It wasn't a physical thing in my case, but after a couple years, I could put them in. I think I was just doing it wrong and eventually figured it out, lol! And if you are a virgin that could be the deal too. But, yes, for some women tampons are uncomfortable or painful to insert. It helps to take deep breaths and try to relax the muscles. If you're tense, you'll have more trouble.

If you have your period during the swim unit, you can probably have your parent or guardian write you an excuse. I had mine during my swim unit in P.E. (long time ago, lol) and I had my mom write me a note. I was excused for the week. If anyone in your class asks and you don't want to talk about it, just tell them you have stomach problems or something. Also, it might help to ask your P.E. teacher about it ahead of time. I'm sure if she knows that you can't use tampons, she will understand.
    aahx3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Okay thank you.

Yes I am a virgin, I was just making sure that there wasn't anything wrong with my body or something like that. Almost all my friends wear tampons and I wish I could, I find pads to be extremely uncomfortable (probably due to my heavy flow, sitting in class is sooo uncomfortable!) but thank you for your answers. I have talked to my mother about it in the past but she just says to use pads, she usually says my body probably isn't right for tampons because she's never been able to wear them either.

Thank you for your help. It was just making me concerned because it has been 2 1/2 years since my first period and I figured I would be able to get a tampon in by now. I was just curious!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 02:03 PM
    The vagina angles back, so you can't insert a tampon straight up. (AMA (Atlas) Female Reproductive Organs) There are strong muscles at the opening that have to be eased past too. And just because you've had your period for two-plus years doesn't mean the opening has gotten larger or the hymen has stretched. Like others have suggested, a visit to a (woman?) doctor who will check this part of your anatomy and show you how to insert a tampon will relieve your mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you know if a tampon broke your hymen? [ 8 Answers ]

I wore a tampon once a little over a year ago and it didn't really hurt going in. I had it in all day and that night when I went to take it out it hurted a lot and it took me a while to get it out. Well I'm about to lose my virginity and I was wondering if the tampon broke my hymen because I'm real...

To insert disk into the drive [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new 1G sony VAIO pen drive. When I click on "my computer" and see that there is a "removable disk" folder (e.g. the pen drive has been drive). But when I click on the removable drive, I was asked "Please insert a disk to the drive". I cannot format the removable either. Please...

Hurts when I put in a tampon and have heavy flow [ 8 Answers ]

Last night I put in a tampon and all was fine. This morning I tried to put one in the and the actually putting it in hurt, the rest didn't. And when I sit, it feels like the tampon is coming out. I also have a really heavy flow. I'm on day three and when I use the bathroom after having a pad in,...

Chimney Insert [ 2 Answers ]

I had to replace my Hot Water Heater and chose a unit that was a bit larger than the old unit. Because there was a difference in height between the old and new, I had to "punch" a new hole into my chimney for the exhaust. The old set-up had my furnace exhaust and water heater exhaust connected to a...

View more questions Search