Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Typically ;the UN is ineffective in Burma
    UN Envoy Ibrahim Gambari met with several low level junta members but is being ignored by the top brass in the government. An estimated 20,000 troops filled the streets of Rangoon during Gambari's visit to prevent any protests from forming.

But no need to worry ;the revolt has been effectively crushed .Liberty takes another beat down while the world in all it's impotence looks on. The Daily Mail reports on the brutality used to end the protest of the monks. Burma: Thousands dead in massacre of the monks dumped in the jungle | the Daily Mail

Burma: Thousands dead in massacre of the monks dumped in the jungle
    Last updated at 11:37am on 1st October 2007

Thousands of protesters are dead and the bodies of hundreds of executed monks have been dumped in the jungle, a former intelligence officer for Burma's ruling junta has revealed.

The most senior official to defect so far, Hla Win, said: "Many more people have been killed in recent days than you've heard about. The bodies can be counted in several thousand."

Mr Win, who spoke out as a Swedish diplomat predicted that the revolt has failed, said he fled when he was ordered to take part in a massacre of holy men. He has now reached the border with Thailand.. .

Reports from exiles along the frontier confirmed that hundreds of monks had simply "disappeared" as 20,000 troops swarmed around Rangoon yesterday to prevent further demonstrations by religious groups and civilians.

Word reaching dissidents hiding out on the border suggested that as well as executions, some 2,000 monks are being held in the notorious Insein Prison or in university rooms which have been turned into cells.

There were reports that many were savagely beaten at a sports ground on the outskirts of Rangoon, where they were heard crying for help.

Others who had failed to escape disguised as civilians were locked in their bloodstained temples.

There, troops abandoned religious beliefs, propped their rifles against statues of Buddha and began cooking meals on stoves set up in shrines.
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    UN Envoy Ibrahim Gambari met with several low level junta members but is being ignored by the top brass in the government. An estimated 20,000 troops filled the streets of Rangoon during Gambari's visit to prevent any protests from forming.

But no need to worry ;the revolt has been effectively crushed .Liberty takes another beat down while the world in all it's impotence looks on. The Daily Mail reports on the brutality used to end the protest of the monks. Burma: Thousands dead in massacre of the monks dumped in the jungle | the Daily Mail
    This was originally posted on the politics board. Why was ot removed from there ?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Maybe because you ask no question, just posting a news item.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2007, 10:39 PM
    Typically the UN is ineffective in all matters.
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 02:12 AM
    Magprob ;yup

NeedKarma

If I answer what administration deems homework I am advised not to do so. To ask an easily answered question would be as waste of time since I can Google as well as anyone. For the politics board the questions usually provoke discussion . Given that ;why would it be necessary to frame the posting in question form ?
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Isn't the UN's ineffectiveness generally the trigger for the US to get involved??
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Skell,
    You have a point there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burma protests [ 24 Answers ]

Could the protesters in Myanmar actually succeed in peacefully overthrowing Burma’s military government? I hope so .Now that President Bush made it an issue in his Tues. General Assembly address ,and First Lady Laura Bush went on VOA to pronounce solidarity with the protesters It is hopeful that...

How many baby teeth do people typically have? [ 4 Answers ]

Typical People Have How Many Baby Teeth?

How much oil do you typically put in lawnmowers [ 3 Answers ]

Hey all, I have a lawnboy lawnmower. I lost my instruction manual in a Hurricane Flood so I thought I would ask to be sure. How much oil do you typically put in a lawnmower. I have a very durable lawnboy that was floded by Hurricane Katrina and once cleaned out, started fine but I...

Light switch ineffective [ 5 Answers ]

My son replaced the light switch in a bedroom in order to match the color to the new color scheme (he also changed out all the electrical outlets). The problem is that the new switch, the old switch, and another old switch no longer control the ceiling light/fan. The light (and fan) is on and can...

View more questions Search