Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DenverGals Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Milk Allergy In An Older Child
    :confused: Is it common for a 12 year old to still have a milk allergy that she's supposedly had since she was a baby?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 08:18 PM
    I do not know how common it is, but it is surely probable. Perhaps a lactose intolerance or allergy that has re-developed, or perhaps never really went away. I once provided respite care for a girl who, at 14, was still lactose intolerant and could not have milk or milk products at all. It really is not that odd of an occurrence.

Have you had your daughter checked for this sensitivity?
    DenverGals Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverGals
    :confused: Is it common for a 12 year old to still have a milk allergy that she's supposedly had since she was a baby?
    It's actually my sister's daughter who is coming to stay with me for the summer. My sister says she's not Lactose Intolerant but rather Milk Allergic. I've been doing some research on the internet looking for menu plans for when she's here and it seems like almost everything has milk or some milk derivative. Some of the research also says that most kids outgrow their milk allergy by 2 or 3 years old. I don't know that my sister has recently had my niece tested but I seriously doubt she carries an epipen with her!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Then your sister needs to have her daughter re-tested. For the health of her daughter! What would happen if she got a food that she was allergic to? You are right, there is dairy in many food products. If I was you, I would say that while your niece is more than welcome to come and stay with you, you would feel that much safer knowing exactly what are the do's and dont's for her. If she is still allergic, that epipen needs to come with her.

Hoping for the best.

Also, for menu plans... you could try contacting a dietician at your local hospital or school - they have to plan foods for children with dairy allergies. You might even get some menu plans for no cost.

I imagine you have read many articles on this but I will cite some resources and hope they are not duplication for you:

Seasonal Menu Plans and Recipes: with Eleonora Manzolini - Elson M. Haas M.D. - HealthWorld Online

Milk Allergy: A Guide for Teens

Milk Allergy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Common or not unusual.

While most people are not allergic to milk, there are a lot of people that will be allergic to it all of their lifes, My wife can not drink milk, and I can tell you all about Soy milk, goat milk and a few others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water allergy [ 28 Answers ]

I have developed an allergy to drinking water.I drank poland spring bottled water for years and have suddenly developed an allergy which I think has to do with the plastic bottle.Now I can't drink any water at all without a severe allergic reaction.I also have acid reflux which I think might have...

Tap water allergy [ 5 Answers ]

I live in the country and normally drink rainwater. When I visit some cities including Adelaide and Canberra, Stanthorpe in Queensland and Mansfield in Victoria, within an hour or so of drinking town supply water I become ill. Symptoms are feeling nauseous, increased heart rate and lethargy. I...

Allergy to acrylic nails [ 1 Answers ]

I've worn acrylic nails for years. Just recently I noticed when I get my nails filled or have new nails put on, my fingers become sore, red and itch. I assume I have become allergic to either the primer or the acrylic itself. Has anyone had a similar occurrence, and if so did you find another...

Allergy to Semen [ 1 Answers ]

I'm allergic to semen. I know there is a procedure where they can give you something like an allergy shot, but they inject you with a series of 10-15 different shots of the protiens in the semen that you're allergic to. The problem is that this is not done everywhere even though I read that the...

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why [ 1 Answers ]

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why?

View more questions Search