Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fergie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 02:04 PM
    Brown Sugar
    What is the Chemical Formula for Brown Sugar?
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 21, 2006, 02:27 PM
    C12h22o11 :)
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2006, 06:42 PM
    C H 0
    12 22 11
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 09:14 AM
    The above formulas are for sucrose, which is commonly known as table sugar or what you'd simply call sugar.

Asking for a formula for brown sugar is misleading. There isn't a chemical formula for brown sugar, as it is a mixture of sugar, molasses syrup, and other flavorings.

But... if you need the formula for the sweetener in brown sugar, the above posts are correct.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2006, 11:06 AM
    I totally understand what your doing it's your methods?? Most people who take chemistry or in medical fields know that Brown sugar is nothing more then refined sugar with a little molasses added-with small, small amounts of mineral. The original method elimates the 3rd washing, that's it, not unlike what happens nowadays? ANYWAY...
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelesspa
    I totally understand what your doing it's your methods??? Most people who take chemistry or in medical fields know that Brown sugar is nothing more then refined sugar with a little molasses added-with small, small amounts of mineral. The original method elimates the 3rd washing, that's it, not unlike what happens nowadays? ANYWAY.....
    Hmmm...

My post dealt with the slightly improper use (but common misuse) of the term "formula" applying to a component in a mixture...

In the classes I taught concerning organic chemistry, general chemistry, and biochemistry recitation there was never a discussion of brown sugar. There were, of course, discussions about carbohydrate chemistry, metabolism, anabolism, etc. and yes, the students did know the structure of table sugar. But its possible that someone, obviously not you, might not understand whether brown sugar is the same or not.

After all, are all water softener salts the same? no. are all driveway salts the same? no. are all sugars the same? no. corn syrup versus table sugar? Hey, ask someone who is dairy intolerant. You of all people here, with three lactose intolerant people in your family, should get that saying something is a sugar isn't the same meaning for all and should welcome some detailed discussion when the wording of a question is misleading or when the person might not have the education that you have.

Am I supposed to let my students assume the backbone of DNA has a sucrose moitey when I tell them there is a sugar component?

What about drugs with carb. Functionalities? Are they just supposed to know what the structures are?

Understanding the makeup of brown sugar was never on the MCAT. Likely not on the GRE topics. Not in the index of any college text I've ever seen, reviewed, or made my students buy. So it is possible that someone not so enlightened might appreciate some details? We have no idea of the OP's experience.

By the way, you spelled it "latose" on your profile... seeing that there are people who incorrectly spell the sugar this way when posting on occasion, you might wish to correct your information.

Quote Originally Posted by lovelesspa
    ANYWAY.....
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2006, 12:03 PM
    I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember (or think I remember) that sugar from cane stalks, when ground up, produce a molasses thus being called "brown sugar" or possibly "pure brown sugar". It's then spun off the sugar crystals to produce "white sugar".
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2006, 12:05 PM
    I don't know... I learned one or two things after getting all my credientials to become a R.D. LDN, I took chem 101, Phychology, human nutrition, microbiology, chemistry 345, organic chemistry, boil, microanatomy, physicakl nutr, nutri in life cycle, food service 1, food law and Policy, nutr educ, community nutr, human nutr metab, as well as a few years of the other electives and needed courses, as well as working in the fied and working with peoplewho's experiences in food studies , would astound. I had to earn at least a BA, go through a didactic program as well as completed practician program and I passed the nat. Reg exam, I think... I know a thing or too... As for the correction in grammar, lanuage, I have no idea what this comes from, not once did I mention that fact in any of my replies?. I said I did not understand your methods, (sarcasm) But I'm sorry if I offended your education level and advice... it is quite impressive!

Thank you so much for making me see the lactose error Which I corrected thanks to you,, Sometimes I get excited about being involved in this forum and I don't proof read, Thank God for people like you.. It make me thankfull that every day I learn something new from new people like yourself, thanks again:p .
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 12:37 PM
    Wow :rolleyes:

Guess we stepped on the wrong nerves of each other. I misunderstood you and you misunderstood me. Or maybe you understood me.

Oh well. May not be the last time. Irish temper be damned.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2006, 01:03 PM
    Hey KP, life is good, I sweat nothing, retired, kids are raised life is sweet!! Anything you can teach me, I'll absorb, My parents are from Ireland and Portugal, so imangine the mental conflicts,. have, gift of gab,BS and love to drink. Its all about enjoying life to me. Just trying to put out info about nutrition, I now deal mostly with teens, trying to put the word out, I live here in O.K. see a lot of problems, Overweight is the norm, they think I'm too skinny, soooo, (not in agreement, since old age hit) hearts, and families are in need. I'm not use to using a computer, just new to all this, learned now about the importance of proofreading, through, you!! This is a great site, and the more I learn, the better I become, through you KP and pople like J_9, you'll have view points I don't see or have, but need,so keep me fiesty, it's the best way! Fiesty is good!~!! Thanks:cool:

HELL YEA!! I feell much better now KP, thanks, take in consideration all the above and now I'm on day two of no ciggies, I don't even like Ed McMahannon right now!! You got any advice about quitting smoking, gimme all you got!! McDonald, is looking good to me right now... lol... :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How much sugar is in milk? [ 12 Answers ]

How many grams of sugar does an 8 ounce glass of milk provide?

Medium Reddish Brown to Light Brown [ 3 Answers ]

I had been coloring my hair a medium copper brown for about a year. The last time I colored 3 months ago I used medium gold brown. My hair is less red, but still has red undertones. I would like to go to a light golden brown. Is there anyway I can do this without ending up looking like Bozo? Am...

Who remade the Archies song "Sugar Sugar"? [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: Please, who's the artist who remade the Archies song "Sugar Sugar" with changed lyrics.. "Honey, I gotta lotta money.."?

How many grams of sugar [ 4 Answers ]

How many grams sugar should a healthy adult have a day?

Diabetes: How much sugar should a diabetic limited to? [ 3 Answers ]

How much sugar should a diabetic be limited to? (gram per day or week?)

View more questions Search