Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msherm45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Floppy drive does not see disk
    I have a Sony VAio pcv-rs720g running windows XP home ed. When I put a disk in the floppy drive it tells me that there is no disk in the drive and to insert one. I've tried a dozen disks. Also I went to device manager and deleted the floppy controller and reinstalled it, no help. I reset the AMI BIOS to default, no help. I tried a new floppy controller cable and new floppy drive and it still fails. It appears to me that it is a motherboard problem. Correct if I'm wrong. Is there any other test that I should perform?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2006, 05:34 AM
    Could be the drive controller. You would have to take it tech to have the chips tested. An alternative would be to get an external USB floppy. Probably cost less than the tech.
    msherm45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Unfortunately it didn't help. We changed out the motherboard and it still won't work. Obviously something in the operating system or some software must have benn corrupted. The problem is what is it? I am buying an external USB floppy drive rather than having to restore the hard drive back to factory defaults and then have to put all my programs back in. It just irks the Hell out of me why it won't work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floppy disk fail [ 3 Answers ]

I'm just putting a computer togather now when I turn on the computer after it's done all it's check it'tells me floppy disk fail how can I fix that?

O.S won't read new floppy disk drives. [ 3 Answers ]

xxxxxx OilMan6 :confused: 11 November 2005. 1733 Hrs. Central U.S. time. SUBJECT: Operating system won't read new floppy disk drives. Operating system being used: Windows XP Professional with SP#2. I bought two new Imation floppy disk drives.

Floppy disk permanently write protected [ 1 Answers ]

The computer always displays the Write Protect error message, even if the write protect tab is in the write position. Can you tell me how to solve this problem?

Floppy disk repair software [ 1 Answers ]

Hi folks, I am having frequent problems with my floppy drive as it is not reading most of the floppies. It will read only very good floppies such as monitor installation disks or floppies from top brands only. What I need is , where can i download free software for...

Floppy disk drive inoperative [ 1 Answers ]

Have a Dell XPS T600r computer. Floppy disk drive was installed by Dell. Recently, The drive doesn't work. It is shown as Drive A in My Computer, but when I click on it, it says " Please insert disk into drived A....I do reclick drive A and the same message reappears. If I try to copy something to...

View more questions Search