Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rise Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2005, 02:10 PM
    Cd-Rom
    My cd-rom drive refuses to read anything or even spin the disc.It occurred after a failed burn attempt in which the light kept flashing red so I stopped the burn but my computer froze so I reseted it in order to take the disc out.

After the restart I opened my WM player and it said it had abnormally shut down and that plug-ins may to be blame I said OK to shut I down again. So I tried to play another cd in the drive it has failed to recognize any music cds or program cds i.e. warcraft,xp installation disc.Now when I put it in the green light flashes then a red 1 then stops working.

In my computer it reconises the drive but says the disk is blank.My device manager says there isn't a problem either.

Thanks for any help
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2005, 04:37 PM
    New CDRW drive runs about $40. Unplug old one, plug in new one and test.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 5, 2005, 05:02 PM
    Check out tigerdirect.com. There is a CD/DVD burner that does double layer DVDs also for only about 50 bucks now, and you won't need another one for a long time, as it does read and write everything. It's from Lite, check it out. They have free givaways with purchases right now too.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 5, 2005, 05:32 PM
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...482114&CatId=0

Check out this page, now they have one even cheaper from NEC. I wish I could get this one for myself!.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Oct 17, 2005, 04:11 PM
    WinMSD
    Insert any non-blank CD into your CD drive. Open a DOS (Start>Run>CMD-OK) session.

Enter "WinMSD" at the DOS command prompt. Check [+] Hardware Resources for possible hardware conflicts. Also, under Components, select CD-ROM, check all details (e.g, media loaded, name, status, driver, etc).

If everything looks kosher, trhen it is NOT a driver or a windows issue. You are likely looking at faulty hardware. R&R

P2E
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 17, 2005, 05:02 PM
    I all else fails, and you did not get a new one, try going into the hardware add/remove section, then let the PC check for new hardware, if it does not recognize the hardware, there will be a yellow? On the device. Click on properties of this and reinstall the driver or 'rollback' the driver. That might work, but I still think you need a new device.
    If this is a PC, then you should have made a 'boot' disk for it already. Most boot disks have the drivers for the Cd Roms on them, try booting with the floppy and cross your fingers. Hope one of these two ideas work.
    Idea number three, did you check your startup? If the CMOS changed and no longer has your CD ROM included as one of the first devices to read, change that and reboot. I do, however, have a feeling you'll be writing us to tell us about the new one you bought pretty soon.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2005, 05:43 AM
    Cd-rom
    Hi,
    If you have not yet determined whether the cd-rom drive is bad, then you might consider taking your computer to a local computer repair shop. If it's bad, you can have one installed for probably under 50 dollars US. About 3 yrs ago, I had a good burner drive installed for 40 dollars US, including the drive and the installation. I didn't want to do it myself, basically because I wanted another opinion on a good drive.
    Normally, in the area in which I live, online shopping is usually cheaper including shipping and handling. But, not always.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 18, 2005, 11:35 AM
    How true about the online shopping, but I've heard nothing but good from Tigerdirect, although I could be wrong. Still it would be better to get a new device or have it checked out by a technician, as this problems seems to continue..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search