Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reesecup Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Underweight Cat, Loose Skin, No Hair
    :confused: I have had my cat for about 4yrs now. He was an adult when I adopted him and has always been skinny. He was put on Valium, because he obsessively cleaned himself until he was bald. He was taken off the medication and has been great ever since. However, he is still EXTREMELY underweight and has loose skin hanging off his stomach. My vet has checked every possibility. He eats great, but I know guests to my house must think I don't feed this cat. What could cause such loose skin, hanging the entire length of his underside and low weight??
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 03:30 PM
    I am not a cat expert - but it could be that he is "middle aged" . A lot of cats will get the low lying belly as they get older. Is he really active or pretty lazy?

Jun 3, 2007, 03:33 PM
    He is very active and loves to play. The skin is sooo loose, it can actually swing from side to side. His bones stick out so bad, I have a hard time brushing him.
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Has your vet put him on any special food to try and get the weight on?
    It may just be the way he's made. I know there are some cats that just always look like they haven't had a meal in a long time, when in reality they are very well fed.

Jun 3, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Yes, he gets special wet food and also dry food. I guess if he's comfortable with his looks, then I have to be also. Maybe he'll opt for a tummy tuck later on!! :D
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 03:46 PM
    As long as he's not sick and your vet isn't worried - I think you are doing the best you can. And I bet, tummy tucks for cats is just around the corner! :)
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 04:08 PM
    My 'twins' became quite overweight while I was away for a month and someone else tended to them. I reduced their food and changed their diets and one lost a lot of weight, the other remains heavy, probably because she hides out in the barn and catches a lot of mice when she is outside. (They are both indoor cats in the winter and out of doors 1/2 to all day in the summer.) The one that lost weight has never tightened up her skin, although she is very active (probably the most active of the 3 cats that own me).

If the vet has ruled out any serious diseases, cancer and worms and he isn't concerned with it and the cat is otherwise healthy and happy I really wouldn't worry about it too much. They are just like people and all have different metabolisms. The only other suggestion I would have is to ask the vet if there is a diet they would recommend to help put weight on the cat.

Didi
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Does your cat get hairballs?I have a male cat that I have had for 11 years he was a stray so I'm not sure on his age ,last year he started licking himself in the spring till he was bald over his entire stomach and portions of his legs, this year he went further and his side were balding. He lose's weight when he does this because of the hairballs. And now has the saging stomach, but after spring he gains his weight back but his stomach is still saggy. I brush him with a rubber brush that I bought from petsmart... "by the makers of the kong" (It is unreal how much hair that this brush picks) and you don't have to worry about it hurting his skin, and this seems to cut down on the hairballs. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Underweight cat [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older, sick cat. I am trying to assist her in gaining weight. Any suggestions>

Underweight cat [ 2 Answers ]

My cat was missing for two weeks, and when she came home, she was severely underweight. There is an obvious abdominal tuck, her meow is deep and unpleasant, and when she eats her dry food, she makes a choking sound like she's coughing up a furball!:eek: Any good ideas to fatten her back up? She has...

Loose skin? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: :pguys i want to ask.. i lost quite a lot of weight and along wit that is the loose skin issue..it looks weird. how do u suggest having firmer skin aside from exercise which is something i'm already doing.. help will be much appreciated..:)

Underweight cat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a 15 month old male cat who recently had a kidney infection and nearly died. He dropped from 6 to just over 4 pounds in about 10 days. He is much better and eating and drinking but he has gotten really picky on what he eats, he won't eat the dry food he ate for almost a year, he will...

Underweight cat [ 3 Answers ]

My cat is extremely thin, and it is sickly how you can feel every bone in his back when you pet him. We feed him 2 times a day, but he doesn't eat it all. He is a picky eater, and he is lactose intolerant. He also gets sick when he eats seafood. Is there a safe way for him to gain weight?

View more questions Search