Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AJD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Briggs & Stratton 20.5 hp very stiff
    My Briggs & Stratton 20.5 HP mower engine is VERY stiff. I removed the spark plugs, still very difficult. It has had regular oil changes, never run low on oil. Stored in a dry basement. The flywheel can be manually turned with about 40 pounds of torque. It has a small area that is easy to turn. This is an opposed twin configuration. I changed the oil, did not help. Any help would be appreciated.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 23, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Does it feel like there is drag or are you coming up to a compression stroke? Is your determination of difficult to turn because the starter is not spinning the engine and you tried it by hand. Remember it is a 20HP engine and is hard to turn.

If it is coming to a compression stroke and stopping you may have a bad compression release. The other thing you may try is adjusting the valves to manufacturers specs 4 Thousands intake and 6 exhaust?

Don

Mar 24, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Thanks Dan,
    The stiffness could easil be on the compression stroke. I removed the spark plugs and still have the same resistance. I have pretty much ruled out compression as the culprit. It does not feel like a bad bearing in that I cannot feel any "roughness" when I turn it by hand. I will check the valve clearance.
    Andre'
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 24, 2007, 09:23 AM
    How about a belt idler pulley dragging? Remove all belts to engine. It could be the upper journal on the crank does not have a ball bearing and could cause drag if bad.

Don
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Andre probably won't need to remove the belts but make sure nothing is engaged and the belts are loose. Valves and compression probably aren't in play if the problem is there with the plugs removed. Without a look its hard to tell but I'm thinking his bearings are seizing up.

Mar 24, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Hi Don,
    Thanks again, I agree it is most likely bearings. I will start taking it down and let you know the progress. This is a "Flathead" design, so I will remove the heads and look at the valves first. By the way, the belts are loose and the hydrostatic tranny is in the "push" or disabled position.
    ddg421985 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Comment on newaukumdon's post
    This is on the money. This works
    Donniebrucie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2013, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ddg421985 View Post
    This is on the money. This works
    How do you adjust the valves? I know the specs, just need to know how.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

18.5 hp briggs & stratton [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 hp Briggs & Stratton model # 31P777, type # 0348-E1 that is blowing oil out of the screen on the fuel pump. It will blow out about 1 pint by the time I finish cutting my yard. Any ideas?

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

Briggs & Stratton 5 HP - cannot start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Coleman Powermate 2.2 kW 110 volt electric generator which uses a 5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. I could start it without problems in December when we had a 4 day power outage near Seattle. It helped me out. Now I cannot start it. I tried new gasoline. By using ether (Faststart?) I...

18.5 briggs & stratton smoking [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how much oil as in ounces it takes to fill it so I don't over fill as it says nothing in the owners manual? Thanks

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

View more questions Search