Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sammie1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 05:32 PM
    What do I do if I found out my dad is drinking again?
    I am 16 and My dad is an alcoholic, and I found out he was drinking again. My mom doesn't know, actually I am the only one who knows. My dad has been lying about not drinking again. His drinking almost ruined our family when I was little. So I am scared to tell my mom. I am angry at my dad. I have no one to talk to. I can't eat or sleep. I don't know what to do...
    adviceishere Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 492
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2011, 01:22 AM

Wow you poor thing, you shouldn't be burdened with such a huge secret, could you maybe tell a close adult relative? Tell them how hard your finding it to tell your mother and will they do it for you?. things will most likely get tough when she does find out so just be prepared and rememeber that it will come out eventually, this type of illness is impossible to keep secret forever so its either now or much later when your father is gone deeper into this, he needs help and now.
    Suzzie_lou Posts: 7, Reputation: 5

Mar 10, 2011, 10:08 AM
    Dear Sammie1234,

I completely understand your anger at your father, you must feel like he has completely violated your trust.

Considering that this is a recurring problem your father really needs help. You may be scared of telling your mother but your father needs help to cure himself before things get completely out of hand. His actions will hurt those around him and himself.

This sort of secret will eat you up from the inside and there are three things that I suggest you do and quickly.
    1. Find someone to talk to about this. Find anyone you feel comfortable enough around to talk about this, because you should not have to carry this burden!
    2. As adviceishere says, this secret will not stay secret. And because you are scared about your mother's reaction you need to figure out a way in which you can break the reality of the situation easily and not in a massive emotional dump. Also it would be wrong for you to get into trouble because you kept your father's drinking a secret, you are not responsible for any of this taking place so do not let anyone convince you that you are.
    3. Try and eat and sleep. As hard as it may be, the situation will only worsen the less energy you have in your system. And eventually you will crash. Your father will need help to get through this disease and you will need to be strong to help him. So for him and yourself, try to regain some kind of strength.

You are a modern day hero to live through something like this! Stay strong and keep your head high.

I commend you on your good use of punctuation and good grammar, finally someone on this site who can write properly!

Yours sincerely Suzzie Lou (AKA Biff Johnson)

angelnote101 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 07:08 AM
    Hide all the achol in your house. He might get made but you migt just be saving him and the rest of your family. Trust me you'll know what 2 do. :)
    adviceishere Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 492
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2011, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelnote101 View Post
    hide all the achol in your house. he might get made but you migt just be saving him and the rest of your family. trust me youll know what 2 do. :)
    Sadly I have to disagree, I don't think it's a good idea to take matters into your own hands by hiding things away, you could get into a lot of trouble, let an adult handle this situation :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I found out my dad cheating on my mom. [ 7 Answers ]

Recently I found out my dad's sex video on his cell phone with another woman. I don't want my mom get hurt to let her know this. And I don't want to lose my family over this matter. What is the best way for me to wake my dad up and keep this family at the same time. Is it even possible for...

I found out at 26 that my dad was not my biolgical father. Anyone else? [ 9 Answers ]

Anyone else dealing with social issues surrounding non-paternity? I found out at 26 that my dad was not my biolgical father. Anyone else?

Recently found out why my dad was going away for the weekend [ 8 Answers ]

Hey all I recently found out that the reason my dad had been going away over the weekends was to see another woman. Turns out he'd been 'seeing' her since before Christmas last year but never said anything. After a family meal (after he'd just come back) he told my mum, who then came round to...

My ex has custody, found out he isn't the bio dad. [ 12 Answers ]

My ex husband got custody of our son last year during our divorce. I was afraid I'd never see my son again so I dropped all domestic violence charges and the court ordered paternity test in exchange for visitation with my son. I now found out he had the test done and he is NOT the biological father...

I have found my dad I am trying to find my mom [ 3 Answers ]

I am adopted I found my biological dad last April through Case.Net. I tried finding my mom through that but she had gotten remarried and now I don't know what to do to find her!:confused: Any kind of help would be greatly helpful. Thank you Tiffany

View more questions Search