Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 03:44 PM

I absolutely do agree that adding the dog when times are rough was a not-fabulous idea. So now money is going towards a dog that could be helping this cat.

But I do also think there was some unnecessary roughness about the cat. I had plenty of money to take care of my one cat when I got him -- later when times were tough and I was barely feeding him is when he ended up with diabetes. And yes, I avoided going to the vet due to lack of money. (Not realizing what this was doing to my cat.) And no way in hell was I going to just give up a cat I'd had for 10 years and had a very strong bond with - be like giving up my kid. Especially, as J said, for a temporary set-back. In the long run, we did get him treatment, I learned a lot out of it, he lived 5 more years, and died of cancer. (And had enough problems that fortunately I was able to later afford it all.)

I also feel pretty strongly that if all someone can do is provide the basics, that with all the millions of animals we have killed every year, that one is better being in a loving home than just being euthanized with no chance at life. (Although the key word there is "loving" home and there is a line to be crossed where I think they're better off being euthanized.)

And no I don't mind the repetition of slowly and carefully in the side of the mouth. I tried to to italicize that point - maybe I should've bolded and underlined it, cause I do know where you're coming from.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 03:48 PM
    Now, kimmie, I don't know about this stress concept. With a new dog in the house, I can full well believe there's stress. But you certainly can't leave the cat not eating - and the vet should know this. That's not a symptom you just let go, or you'll end up with even worse problems (and bigger vet bill).

$300 for what? I would suspect an exam and basic lab tests. That runs $300? You might check around with other vets as well and see if you can get that price down. Sheesh, I pay like $50 for a set of basic blood work. I know my vet is a bit on the cheap side, but that's a pretty huge difference. Other tests could be necessary in the end, but are they just assuming this up front?

If there is a stress problem, get the cat some place cozy and shut a door and let him chill out. Or lock the dog up, or whatever. Spend some extra time with the cat to make sure he knows he's still loved.
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Sep 22, 2010, 07:20 PM

Maybe you could look at other vets, but try to keep doing whatever you can for him! Has he eaten or drank recently? Did the vet share any more information?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 06:05 PM
    Too expensive for me, and most vets around here don't take it. Not to mention that you have to QUALIFY for the "credit"
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2010, 06:08 PM

That sucks. Around here almost all vets accept those things because they are usually approved (or denied) quickly, and then the vet is paid in full pretty much immediately (just not by the client).
    That company may be different, I know the Canadian one is easy to qualify for. Like, stupid easy.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Too expensive for me, and most vets around here don't take it. Not to mention that you have to QUALIFY for the "credit"
    I agree. If it covered the cost of shots, neutering, and other normal costs, than it may be worth it, but it doesn't, at least not the one we have in my area.

My neighbor bought pet care insurance and still ended up paying over $7,000 for surgery on her cat. The cat made it, even though the vet only gave it a 10% chance.

If you put the premium for pet care in the bank every month, you should be able to afford any emergency that comes up. ;)
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    care in the bank every month, you should be able to afford any emergency that comes up. ;)
    That's what I advise people to do. Pet Insurance is tricky.
    Either that, or get a credit card to use ONLY for pets. That's what I have. I never use it unless something comes up that I don't have the funds for with my pets.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2010, 05:53 AM

I have both - I have pet health insurance on both dogs AND a credit card only for "them." I did just get the renewal on the policy for my GSD and I will NOT be renewing this year - after paying for 6 years - because the premium is out of sight and the coverage keeps shrinking.

My experience - she has bad skin allergies. Her medication is expensive. Every time I take her to the Vet it's a separate claim AND the company needs all the paperwork that has gone on before, documentation of every visit EVER for the same problem. They can't just sort of tack this visit onto the old history.

And I'm very close to the policy's ceiling for that ailment.

What started as a very good idea has turned into a very expensive policy.
    SassyUnicorn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2010, 11:08 PM
    Judykaytee your retarded she said in her fourm that she wanted advice who are you to judge. And yes a vet bill of 300 dollars is expensive (and she is probably estimating since that's usually the cost of most checkups like stool samples, little touchy feel of the stomach and blood tests) and your wrong sometimes when a pet owner gets tight with money doesn't mean you surrender your animal if everyone in the world did that then the animal shelters would be over populated and they would kill the animals later on. So lets see keep your animal and try and save it from a home basis or surrender it (lol love the choice of words you used idiot) and have it die later on in the animal shelter because the shelter would rather have a open spot for a healthy animal to have a chance for adoption than a sick one. Also my cat I have had since it was little now its one year and eight months old he has his own cat condo (yes a condo and he loves to relax and play in it), treats, and his toys he is just recently having the same issue as kimmie's cat. Tonight I come home and he starts vomiting he never has done this so now I'm looking at vets but still your statement is redicilous and you need not judge others. She is taking good care of her kitten and its not suffering by all means. Tell me judy if you by some chance became bankerupt, no money at all not to your name , but you had just enough to get by and one of your aniamsl got sick would you surrender (lol) it?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 12:00 AM

I'm closing this thread. The OP hasn't been back since September and now newbies are coming on just to bad mouth people.

SassyUnicorn, read the rules, calling people names is not allowed here.

Thread closed. If the OP comes back and wants it re-opened she can PM me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat vomiting white foam then green liquid [ 4 Answers ]

My cat is a little over 1 year and a couple days ago she was vomiting a somewhat white foam a few times.after that I don't think she has vomited,but I'm not always home.well my sister told me she vomited green liquid today.so I was wondering if that is something I need to take her to the vet for...

Puppy throwing up I cannot afford a vet visit! Is there a way I can fix this [ 5 Answers ]

My 9month old puppy keeps throwing up. Iam scheduled to get his shots on Sunday but he really isn't the same as before He started having diarrhea last night and stopped eating this moring. He's lethargic and His stomach pulses when he's gagging to vomit. Is there any way or anywhere that I can...

Dry heaving and throwing up white foam. [ 3 Answers ]

I have four 6 1/2 week old dachshund, all of them are dry heaving and periodically throwing up white foam. There is also a 6 month old dachshund that is at our house a lot that also vomited white foam last night. They are all still eating, drinking, playing, and going potty normally. I just...

Puppy throwing up white foam? [ 7 Answers ]

My puppy is throwing up white foamy stuff, what is it? What is wrong with him?

Shih Tzu throwing up white foam [ 3 Answers ]

My family's 2 year old male Shih Tzu has been throwing up since yesterday. It is a white foamy substance with no signs of anything in it. He seems to be upbeat as usual. Just a few days ago one of our oldest female Shih Tzu had to go into surgery to remove a stone in her bladder. She to threw up...

View more questions Search