Ask
    socsds Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 05:47 AM
    Cat no energy, not walking well
    Cat quiet, not jumping anymore
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

May 25, 2010, 08:30 AM

Can you give a bit more information? How long has this been going on? How old is the cat? Have there been any changes in food or living conditions lately?

Has the cat been to the vet? When there are any drastic changes in temperament or energy level, it's time to take the animal to the vet. Just like with humans, a drop in energy level can be anything from a mild cold to something potentially fatal.

May 25, 2010, 10:07 AM
    Sorry, I'm brand new to this site.. My cat is 10 1/2 years old. These symptoms just appeared yesterday. He's an inside cat, no change in food. His hip area seems to be slow now and he hopped up on a chair, but not easily, and then he couldn't get down thismorning. I've been reading about his symptoms and wonder if he's got diabetes. When I think back, he started wanted to drink from the faucet about 2 months ago - like it's the best water in the world. Didn't think much of that until now. He isn't meowing in pain, but appear tired and not social last night.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

May 25, 2010, 11:04 AM

Then you definitely need to make a vet appointment seen. The problem can't be treated until you know what it is.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 02:17 AM

Diabetics can get neuropathy which makes them weak in the back legs and they tend to walk on their hocks. However, I'm not sure you would just "suddenly" notice it like that. Really, it would probably appear more like he was getting arthritis, which is what a lot of people with diabetics think.

It's not uncommon for cats to want to drink from a faucet. I'm not sure I find that unusual. Although diabetics will drink a lot, and pee a lot as well. They also will usually seem extremely hungry all the time and eat a lot, but possibly lose weight despite eating a lot.

While you can get dip sticks to check for sugar in the urine, you'd just end up having to take him to the vet anyway. And really, having appeared suddenly, and seeming like it's related to his hip -- I'm inclined to believe it's his hip. Maybe he hurt it.

May 28, 2010, 12:42 PM
    Thanks for the comments! When I got home from work the day after noticing his symptoms, he slowly became his old happy self again. He's eating fine, still drinking, he can hop up on the furniture again with no problem whatsoever, and he social again. I'm now thinking he just landed wrong and maybe hurt himself and didn't want to be bothered by anybody. I'll definitely continue to monitor his behavior, but hopefully all is well now!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 28, 2010, 11:21 PM

Hopefully. They can mess themselves up temporarily just like we can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my cat walking in circles? [ 10 Answers ]

My 18 yr old female Choc. Himalayan cat has begun walking in circles. Is this a sign of her age; dimentia; some kind of stress or distress about something I am not seeing? On her way through a room she will just stop, do 3-6 circles & then resume her journey across the room. Please help! Thank you

Cat walking around in circles some triping on his back legs [ 2 Answers ]

My cat he is a persain purebreed and he is 18 or 19 years old. I think that he is going blind. Over the past few days I have acsedentaly steped on his tail or foot about 4 or 5 times. The other night my computer was out on the floor and he got tangled in it and he keeped walking forward the he...

Cat was not walking properly,took her to vet, did X-rays, found swelling of tissue of [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter's cat was limping, took her to the vet, did x-rays, no broken bones, pelvis had shifted. Diagnosis, either, kicked, fell badly, or bumped hard, but not hard enough to cause bleeding or broken bones. Gave her a cortisone injection (Sunday) told to bring her back each day, another...

Cat having a hard time walking. [ 11 Answers ]

Two days ago my cat started limping on his left rear side. I've kept an eye on him and simplified his getting around so I could figure out what happened to him, now he is no longer able to lift his tail and will not allow anyone to rub his hips. Could he have had a stroke?

Cat has a hard time walking [ 19 Answers ]

Last year my cat got hurt and we didn't take her to the vet because we had plans that day. We have hardwood flooring and she doesint do to well. My mom thinks her claws should be trimmed but I think different. Every time she gets to the hardwood parts of my home she slips and slides and her body...

View more questions Search