Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fruitmongerkng Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 11:12 PM
    6 week old kitten with fleas and tapeworms
    I recently got a kitten from a friend of mine. I have come to realize that she has tapeworms and most likely fleas. I've already started cleaning my sheets and plan to start vacuuming soon, but I thought I should try and get rid of the fleas on her first before beginning the process of getting the apartment cleaned as they may not be taken care of until she's taken care of. The tapeworms have been very noticeable, and I would really like to know what to do about them. From the research I've done, it seems likely that fleas go hand in hand with worms, and a friend of mine earlier tonight mentioned that she might have seen one or two of them, but they're not around in obscene quantities at the moment. If you could give me some ideas as to what to do, that would be incredibly helpful.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 12:51 AM

Hi fruitmongerkng - firstly let me say that your 'friend' should have her cat desexed straight away as this is appalling for her have kittens in such a state.

There are some flea powders available for kittens as young as 6 weeks but make sure you read the labels as most are only to be used on much older kittens.

If you do not want to use a flea treatment, wash the kitten in a mild dishwashing detergent and manually pick the fleas out of its fur.
    I would suggest flea-bombing your apartment but you will need to vacate it for a short period.

As for the tapeworm there are many tapeworm tablets available, once again make sure you get one for kitten 6 weeks of age.

If you have any concerns or your cat is acting ill contact your vet immediately.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 06:23 PM
    Your cat is around the age that she should be going to the vet anyway. From there they can deworm her and dispense flea products to take care of the fleas. Products such as Revolution are safe for kittens as young as 6 weeks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 3 week old kitten has fleas help! [ 10 Answers ]

Hiya my kittens have just caught fleas off a homeless cat I took in and because there so young I don't know what to do I hate fleas there horrible I've just done all my older cats with bobmartin back of the neck stuff but powders and things say not to be used until 12 weeks etc what can I use?...

Fleas on 6 week old kitten [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted a kitten and she has fleas. She is only 6 weeks old what should I do to get rid of then:confused:

Kitten fleas [ 3 Answers ]

How can I get rid of fleas on my kitten who is only 5 weeks old?

3 week old kitten with fleas. [ 8 Answers ]

2 weeks ago I adopted a week old kitten from a little girl who couldn't take care of it herself. It is now 3 weeks old (if her assessment of it's age was correct). It weighs about 11.5 ounces and seems to be healthy. I have however seen several fleas on her and I'm sure she is not old enough for...

6 week old kitten with fleas [ 11 Answers ]

Our new kitten came home with fleas! The vet applied a topical to him, and we were told to vacuum and wash everything he came into contact with. He has been at our house only 36 hours and was in one room- we have done all that the vet told us to do-- will this solve the problem, do you know? ...

View more questions Search