Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angelito Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 06:00 AM
    Screaming at kids
    My daughter has a 3 year old son who doesn't speak yet and of course gets frustated when he can't say what he wants or get his way. My daughter shouts at him, he then stops crying and says OK... kisses her many times and goes his way... is this the right way to educate a little boy of just 3??
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2009, 06:52 AM

Screaming can backfire on her in many ways,
    The 4 yr old down the street from me now talks to his mother the way she did him. He yells back, ""WOMAN! Shut the F** * Up and stick it where the sun don't shine, You are right you are da B****,'' He is a little parrot.
    Then when he gets older he most likely will have even more disrespect and disobey even more.
    Luv2Dance Posts: 56, Reputation: 7

Jan 29, 2009, 04:15 PM

Her screaming is just causing HER to get frustrated and giving him negative attention. If he's "getting frustrated" (you didn't say what he does... does he tantrum? Cry?)... because he's not getting his way... then she should ignore the behavior (as long as he is safe) and calmly give him 2 options ( a preferred choice vs. non-preferred choice) ~~Example: "You can continue to kick and cry and lose your *fill in blank with his favorite toy* for the night, or you can calm down keep it for tonight." But she has to follow through even if he makes the choice to cry... he'll cry when he doesn't have what he wants... but if she keeps to it, eventually he'll learn to choose the preferred choice. As for him being frustrated because he cannot express what he wants... she can take pictures of things around the house that he often might ask for (examples- cookie, drink, a toy... etc.) and he can point to the picture. Then to teach him, she should say the word of the picture, and make him repeat it before giving him what he wants. Most importantly she must stay calm and be consistent!! Best of luck! :)
    Jillian11905 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 12:40 PM
    As for him being frustrated because he cannot express what he wants... she can take pictures of things around the house that he often might ask for (examples- cookie, drink, a toy... etc.) and he can point to the picture. Then to teach him, she should say the word of the picture, and make him repeat it before giving him what he wants. Most importantly she must stay calm and be consistent!! Best of luck! :)[/QUOTE]

That's a very good point. I wish I would have thought of that when I was going through that with my son.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 04:28 PM

He should be of an age where he can express his needs.He should be talking but will never learn to talk unless he is spoken to.'

You need to have an ongoing conversation with children.There should be no limit.His understanding at his age is far above his ability to express it.He is understanding.

Patience and repetition is key.

What she need to do to encourage his vocabulary is to ask him to repeat what she has said.If he wants juice she should say"do you want juice"?

"Can you please say juice for mommy and I will give it to you".

Even if he makes an attempt but in not completely successful he should be praised and encouraged.She should then repeat her request."I want juice Mommy". Then give him what he wants.

She sounds like she would benefit from taking some basic parenting classes!

I am a retired teacher and mother and grandmother and my two yr.old preemie granddaughter is able to express her wishes.Because of good parenting.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 28, 2009, 08:27 PM

If he isn't talking yet she needs to take him to speech therapy. She should also talk to a psychologist or someone about her parenting technique. Yelling at the kid every time he misbehaves is not going to teach him how he should act. It's just going to teach him that when he engages in that behavior, she yells.

There might be a parenting group or classes in your area. If so, I would suggest she check them out. Even a group of parents that get together every week might be helpful. She would be able to see how the other parents interact with their children and get advice from them.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 08:28 PM

He needs to be seen by a speech therapist, at the age of 3 he should be able to communicate.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 08:30 PM

Okay peeps, a newbie posted on an old thread and we all followed suit.

Bad us. :(

I'm reporting it.

The OP was a one hit wonder, never came back so no sense in posting further.

Peace out. ;)
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Okay peeps, a newbie posted on an old thread and we all followed suit.

Bad us. :(

I'm reporting it.

The OP was a one hit wonder, never came back so no sense in posting further.

Peace out. ;)
    Its all my FAULT! :eek:
    I told you to answer! I'm sorry!
    It would be funny if I said you got PUNKED but you didn't ,just my inattention :)
    I am kind of laughin' though .:p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm screaming but nobody can hear me.. . [ 9 Answers ]

All right, I don't usually go onto sites like this but I don't think I can take this anymore and I have nobody to talk to who would actually listen. When I was 13 I started drinking a little, and then smoking pot, and soon after followed that with smoking. Soon enough I wanted to try more, I wanted...

Can yelling & screaming hurt? [ 4 Answers ]

My son & girlfriend constantly are yelling & screaming at each other! The baby is 28 weeks... Can this hurt the baby??

Help on screaming vocals! [ 1 Answers ]

Ok thanks for at least reading this but anyway... Ok I need help with my screaming vocals. I am 13 and I don't want to hear about how it can mess up my voice I need to hear tips. Im currently into bands like Psyopus, through the eyes of the dead, and some of the great readneck hope....

Screaming dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My White Westinghouse dryer - model DE35ORXW4 - is about nine years old and the warranty has expired. It screams terribly then occasionally quietens for a bit. I have read the posts and see that it's probably the ball bearings. I'm not confident about changing them and it will cost a fortune to get...

My 2 yr old wakes up screaming [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A 2 Yr Girl That Will Not Sleep Through The Night. We Used To Be Able To Put Her In Her Crib & She Would Fall Asleep On Her Own. Now If We Put Her To Sleep In Her Crib She Wakes Up About 2 Hrs Later Screaming. We Have Tried To Let Her Just Cry But After An Hr It Gets Worse; If By Some...

View more questions Search