Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anika1999 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Leaking Moen Tub Faucet
    Hi there.

My tub faucet worked fine this morning (it is a Moen single handle lever tub/shower type faucet). Then, about 4 hours later I tried the tap again to run a bath and it didn't work. Instead of the normal water supply, there was a small stream of very cold water. When I tried to turn the tap off, the stream of water continued and wouldn't stop. The only way to get the water to stop flowing was to turn the handle half way open (half way between hot and cold on the mixer).

I replaced the cartridge, assuming that it had broken suddenly, but there was no improvement.

Any thoughts?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2008, 07:32 PM

Did you use the right type cartridge, can you post the faucet model number or the Moen cartridge P/N.

When you removed the old cartridge did you flush the faucet if not, here is how to flush, shut off the water to the faucet, remove the cartridge turn on the water for a few seconds to flush all the debris, shut the water and check inside the faucet for any debris if any remove it, install the cartridge and check if it works, if not replace the cartrtridge with a new one, also FYI all Moen parts has life time warranty if you call their customer service will send you the cartridge for free, good luck.

John
    catsman_123 Posts: 15, Reputation: -2

Dec 13, 2008, 07:50 PM
    What you got is probably a leaky float valve, or a broken T-bolt. What you have to do is find out wich is broken. A T bolt looks like a T, and is not too far in to the wall. A float valve(wich is more likely broken) is slightly farther in, and covers the CW pipe. Find a replacement for 1 or both of these things. You should probably get professional help to replace these things. Good luck

Dec 13, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Hi Afaroo,

Thanks. Yes, I did use the exact cartridge, and I did get it form the Moen dealer who replaced it for free because of the warranty. I also did the flush as you suggested.

Dec 13, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catsman_123 View Post
    what you got is probably a leaky float valve, or a broken T-bolt. what you have to do is find out wich is broken. a T bolt looks like a T, and is not too far in to the wall. a float valve(wich is more likely broken) is slightly farther in, and covers the CW pipe. find a replacement for 1 or both of these things. you should probably get professional help to replace these things. good luck

Hi Catsman,

Hmmm... yes both of those things sound plausible. I shined a flashlight into the wall, but didn't see anything broken, of course, I'm not sure what to be looking for... what is the "CW pipe"? And do these things break suddenly? I haven't heard of them before...

Thanks for the answrers... I'll call my local plumber and pay the horrifically high cost...
    catsman_123 Posts: 15, Reputation: -2

Dec 15, 2008, 05:39 PM

A CW pipe is simply an abbreviated term for cold water pipe, and if they are old then yes they do break. Hope my answer helped. Good luck

Dec 15, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Hey there. Thanks. I called in the plumber and he fixed it all up... of course I had to lose a wall in the process so he could get at it, but its all fixed. Thanks for your help guys.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 06:51 PM

Catsman, are you just making this stuff up as you go along or what? A Moen mixer has neither a float valve or a T bolt. These terms don't even exist in plumbing terminology.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 08:42 PM

Hi Anika,

Can you tell us what the plumber did to fix your problem, Thanks?

Catsman,

CW is not in the plumbing terminology either, but we do have in aviation terminology stands for comply with, thanks

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moen bathtub faucet leaking/dripping [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am having trouble with a leaky bathtub. It is a single handle Moen. I plumbing is only two years old. I replaced the single cartridge and still leaks. Anyone has any ideas?

Clogged moen faucet [ 4 Answers ]

My moen single handle faucet won't shut off. It has a continuous drip/run of hot water. I took out the stem and found a bit of solder and thought I'd solved the problem. But it's still going. Can the stems or insides be replaced?

Moen Tub Faucet - No Pressure. [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible that air in the line could blow the cartridge on a Moen single handle shower/tub faucet? Mine no longer works after having the water off in the house for a couple of hours. I have no pressure at all (small drips) when I turn the tap into the full position.

Moen Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me how to remove the plastic insert that covers up the stem screw in a moen faucet.

Moen Faucet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Tom I found the site and registered but I still need my son to reduce the size of the pictures so I can attach them. He took the photo-editing software off my computer. I'll get back to you shortly. Thanks. Mark Ingham

View more questions Search