Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prttyeyes33 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2006, 09:00 PM
    8 mnth kitten does not like 6 week old chihuahua
    I need help with my kitten and new puppy,we introduced the kitty to the puppy and she hissed, grawled, and went crazy,then ran into the room and was really mad. I have never seen her this way she is usually very playful and nothing bothers her. What can I do?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2006, 09:49 PM
    It's normal for your kitten to be upset with the introduction of a new animal into the house. The kitten would most likely be upset even if the other animal was a cat, never mind a dog. It will take time for your kitten to adjust to the new puppy. This has to do with two things: territory (a strange animal invading the cat's territory) and smell (the strange smell of a new animal).

It will take some patience on your part, but eventually the two should get along. Puppies can be overly excited when they play, and this can be distressing to a cat who is not used to dogs. Make sure that the kitten has an "escape route" and can get away from the puppy whenever she wants to. A cat tree or other high place where the cat can go but the dog can't is ideal. Don't hold her or force her to interact with the puppy. There is no way to speed up the process, so forcing the cat to interact with the puppy is a bad idea. The cat will just get anxious and nervous, and the puppy might get badly scratched! Supervise their time together, and when you can't supervise them, keep them in separate rooms if possible. Also keep their food separate, and if possible have the kitten's food in a high place where the puppy can't get at it.

Once the kitten is used to the puppy, she should accept him as a friend or at the very least tolerate him. This acceptance could take anywhere from a couple of days to a few weeks, depending on the cat's temperament. Since the kitten is young, the process will likely take a week or less, if you're lucky. With an older cat it would be more difficult.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2006, 09:50 PM
    Many cats hate and fear dogs. I would make sure the cat has places to withdraw although in this case, the dog is not as much of a threat to the cat as larger dogs. Perhaps some of the carpeted boxes up on a pole relying on height rather than a small entrance to protect the cat.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2006, 09:58 PM
    Oh and be sure to give the puppy lots of praise when it behaves well towards the kitten (not running at it, snapping, barking, etc). I have a yellow lab and a siamese cat in my house, and praising my lab for being "gentle" with the cat worked really well. They get along well together now.
    prttyeyes33 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2006, 06:28 AM
    Hi thank you you for your time that helps, now I have another question,I have had puppies in the past but never one that cried when you where near it or just cried all the time, needless to say my husband is pulling his hair out, I have never seen one just whine and cry for no reason,no matter what we do.Can you help?
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Hey prttyeyes, you might want to re-post this last question as a new thread, that way labman or someone else will see it and can help you. I'm mostly a cat expert, so I don't feel comfortable answering.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2006, 02:15 PM
    How old is the puppy? If it was removed from its mother and litter at 6 weeks or sooner, it is going to have trouble. You may even have to stroke its back like its mother licking it to enable it to eliminate. Past 7 weeks, it wouldn't be normal for a puppy not to quiet down given attention, plus being warm, fed, and watered. If that is the case, and it still cries, it may need to see a vet. I wish I would have seen this last night when maybe you could have gotten it to a vet this morning. Even if the puppy can wait until Monday, I am not sure you can. Try keeping the cat away. It could be frightened by such a large, unfriendly beast.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 week old kitten [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have recently received a 5 week old kitten and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much milk I should be giving her. She is eating solid food but she prefers the milk. She is really small because her mother stopped feeding her so she has lost quite allot of weight. I would really...

My 3 week old kitten has fleas help! [ 10 Answers ]

Hiya my kittens have just caught fleas off a homeless cat I took in and because there so young I don't know what to do I hate fleas there horrible I've just done all my older cats with bobmartin back of the neck stuff but powders and things say not to be used until 12 weeks etc what can I use?...

Sick kitten 1 week old [ 3 Answers ]

I have a litter of kittens that are 1 week old. The mothers first kitten, born is half the size , eyes not opening and is the only one not nursing. It has no strength and just lays on her side crying. We have been feeding this kitten and it is reluctantly get some formula.. I now believe this...

My cat killed her 4 week old kitten . Why? [ 4 Answers ]

My cat turned 1 year old on memorial day , she also gave birth to 1 kitten on that day . She and the kitten were doing fine until about a week ago when she began to move him all over the house from odd place to place . Finally 2 days ago she almost completely stopped nursing him . This morning she ...

Weaning 5-week-old kitten [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been syringe-feeding an orphaned kitten since she was 2 weeks old... and she loves it. However, at nearly six weeks, she should be starting to eat some solids. I just can't get her to take any interest in it! I put basically the same stuff I'm feeding her from the syringe in a little...

View more questions Search