Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nowtheparent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 06:43 PM
    Mentally ill parent and their debt
    My parent has been declared mentally and physically unable to handle anything. Entered the nursing home from the hospital and has several credit card debts. Sold home to settle debts five years ago, and at the time was mentally/physically able to make all decisions. For the last two years, I have tried to guide bill paying and spending without success. I cannot assume any more of the debt as I have tried to make ends meet along the way. Now, I am too much in debt to take on more.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2006, 06:52 PM
    And the question is??

So you decided to use your own money to pay your mother's debts after all her property sold wasn't enough to pay it?

Tell them tought luck. You are not responsible for any of your mother's debts. If she has no assets to her name, then there is no problem.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Yes I don't understand this.

If you are the guardian, it is not your bills, you only pay their bills with their money, You NEVER pay their bills with your money.

If they have no money, to bad the lender can't do anything to you at all unless you have personally signed to be resonsible, not signed as their guardian for them to pay.

So you pay the nursing home from their Social security check or if it does not cover even that, assign it to them and just tell any other debtors that they are out of money and will not be paying them. Nothing anyone can do.

Again, YOU do not pay them out of your money, you pay your bills with your money. Or buy them things they need that the home does not cover
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Hi,
    The answers you have received covers just about all of it. The debtors are out of luck.
    If you have "Power of Attorney" for her, or are the "Guardian", then I really suggest you talk with a lawyer, for your own "peace of mind". He/she can professionally guide you as to what to do, how to tell these Debtors, etc. I do wish you the best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mentally Challenged Cat? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello there, I have looked everywhere for an answer. Because I am very worried about my cat. You see when I first got her with my husband she acted very strange. Today it has been a year, my cat is 2 years old and she acts like a new born baby. In every way, she is very needy although we give...

Mentally abusive father... [ 22 Answers ]

This October, I will be turning 19 years old. During my whole life, I've never felt like I've ever had a father figure... ever. When I was 9, my parents divorced, and a year before that, separated. Custody was given to my mother and I lived with her throughout the years. Basic rundown, my...

Social woker pleads guily to molesting the mentally handicap [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a mentally handicap uncle who is 58. He is a ward of the state & resides in an apartment where state social workers help him care for himself. He is high functioning and is employed as a custodian worker. We (the family) spend time with him every weekend & see him regularly. Last...

Mentally ill parents [ 7 Answers ]

As some of you may know, both my biological parents had a serious mental illness. I am working on a book for adult children of mentally ill parents, sort of a semi-autobiography of my own life, but I would also like to include stories from others. I have interviewed a few people in my city, but I...

View more questions Search