Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2005, 12:32 AM
    Travel with my older siamese?
    I have an almost 13 year old siamese cat who is extremely attached to me. I dread going out of town, because when I'm gone he mopes and refuses to eat. Once I was away for 8 days, and according to my friend who came to my house to care for him, he didn't touch any food the whole time I was gone. In fact, when I returned, he had lost a substantial amount of weight. Since then, I've never been away from home for more than 2-3 days at a time, because I'm worried about him.

Now I want to go visit friends who live out of province, and they have invited me to stay for 2 weeks. I'm worried that if I leave the cat for that long, he might die. My friends said I could bring him along if I want. So I guess my question is, should I travel with him? I know he will be extremely depressed if I leave him at home, but I also don't want to stress him out with traveling, since he is an older cat. I would be traveling by plane, and my vet said he could have a kitty sedative for the trip.

Any opinions would be welcome! I really don't want to forfeit my trip, but I also love my cat! Thanks!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2005, 05:26 AM
    Traveling
    Hi,
    Cats and dogs can become like a member of the family! I know, cause I have a housedog, and many friends have cats that are like family members.
    Yes, I would take your cat with you. If you haven't already, why not just take your cat for a ride in your car, or vehicle? See how it will act, and see if it will ride OK. My dog is a great companion on a trip, and is a good traveler.
    A mild sedative won't hurt, if it's given on the advice of a Vet.
    I do wish you the best.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Nov 30, 2005, 07:06 AM
    Yes yes take the kitty with you! Did you know you can train siamese cats to use the toilet? They are the smartest cats.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2005, 08:44 PM
    Thanks to both of you - very good advice! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Travel Photographs [ 1 Answers ]

Earlier this year I went on a trip to the Middle East. If you are interested in seeing what Iran looks like through an individuals lens and not that of CNN or the White House check out my photos. www.persiatoparis.com Thank you Michael

Demanding and jealous siamese [ 11 Answers ]

This is more of a comment / vent than a question. Ever since children have been introduced into our house, and especially my new baby, my 13 year old siamese has been very jealous and extra-needy. I thought that his jealousy would wane after a while, but my baby is 3 months old and the cat is still...

A siamese, a lab, and a new baby [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old siamese cat, and my fiancé has a 2 year old golden lab. The cat and the lab get along really well actually. They play, and even sleep together sometimes. The problem is, I just found out I'm pregnant and there will be a new baby in the house by summer. Both cat and dog get a...

View more questions Search