Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chloek227 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 01:37 AM
    Buying adult dog which sleeps on a bed
    We recently came across a 1yr old female Shih Tzu which we really like, the only problem is it sleeps on the owners bed, if we bought it we would want it to sleep downstairs in the kitchen, how do we do this without letting the dog sleep in our bed for the first few nights?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 03:26 AM
    Being rehomed will be strange and disturbing to any dog. I would crate it. Buy it a small crate to be its den and find a corner in the kitchen for it. Read the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    It is meant for young puppies, but a good introduction for any new dog owner.

Take her seriously, giving her good leadership from the start. Sleeping in the owners' bed may have given her the wrong idea about her status. It may even mean riding home in the crate. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss
    hettie Posts: 71, Reputation: 8

Jul 20, 2007, 05:51 PM
    As labman say you could try crating her you may also ask current owner for old garment with their scent on it to make the transition a little less traumatic for her be prepared for a few sleepless nights as you would with a new puppy and then just enjoy your new pet
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 06:42 PM
    I haven't had a sleepless night with a new puppy for the last dozen or more. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog sleeping in our bed? [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I let our dog sleep with us last week for 3 ngiths in a row. I don't know why we did but we did. We decided that this is probably not a good idea for many reasons (Hygene, Top Dog Status). So we decided to say No last night and he slept on the floor in our room like he usually does. At...

My 4yr old son sleeps in grandma's bed during sleepovers [ 3 Answers ]

I need help. My 4yr old has a incredibly close relationship with his grandma(my mother-in-law). He goes over there every weekend and spends the night. He sleeps in the same bed with her. I think he is much too old to be doing this and I never really liked the idea when he was younger but I was so...

My dog sleeps and no eat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7 month old male daschund puppy and all day he just sleeps, and he has not been eating lately I am worried about him and wheher or not he is still heralthy, he is out side from about 7 am till about 11 am when my mom wakes up until I wake up and bring him in, he sleeps in my room and then...

My Dog won't sleep in its bed! [ 2 Answers ]

We have just got ourselves a 2yr old golden retreaver. She is generally a well behaved well trained dog, who has taken to our children very well. Our only problem is that she won't sleep in her bed. Even if we try and put her in it she cowers back and struggles away. Its almost as if she is...

When should I feed my dog adult dog food? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a chocolat lab that just turned 1, and I'm wondering when do I stop feeding her puppy food? Omar

View more questions Search