How do I stop my kitten from biting?

Asked Jun 19, 2007, 10:29 AM 19 Answers
    My 11 week old kitten is adopted and highly spirited. She is "entertained" by almost anything. However, she has begun testing her teeth on us whenever she can and though she's playing and not biting hard, it is painful. She bit a path the whole way up my arm this morning. Any suggestions? Also, if the cat has a scratching post will she stop clawing the furniture? Is it possible to file her sharp little claws without hurting her? Thanks for your suggestions. Though I've had cats for years, this is my first "indoor" cat and I need some help.

Last edited by kayswhitten; Jun 19, 2007 at 12:02 PM.
    bushg's Avatar
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596

#2

Jun 19, 2007, 10:44 AM
    When she starts biting you stop playing with her. You can cut her nails ,I have never heard of filing them. The first time I would suggest that you let the vet or a groomer show you how. To deal with the furniture scratching. I would get her a post & sit it in front the piece of furniture that she is scratching on, when you see her do this take her paws and sctratch the post, she should pick this up rather quickly. And they sell some think type of box like material at the pets stores, my cats love to scratch on boxes. I keep a flat one lying in the basement and on our enclosed back porch, when they are done shredding on it I get a new one, the thicker the better.I have 4 cats right now and 2 dogs and brand new furniture and they never bother my stuff. I hope you intend to spay her, if she is not already. There are many health benefits to this as well as not bring unwanted kittens into the world. Cats in heat are annoying to deal with they cry and moan at all hours and sometimes they will pee in different parts of the house.This goes on and off until they are spayed or get pregnant! It is better to get them spayed before the first heat. You have some time though , speak to your vet if you haven't already. Enjoy your kitten she be a great source of comfort and happiness for years to come.
    pompano's Avatar
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

#3

Jun 20, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Give her plenty of toys to play with.She is teething and her gums will be tender for a while,which makes her want to chew and bite.She also will want to play,so feathers and chasing toys will tire her out.Catnip will relax her.
    jillianleab's Avatar
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279

#4

Jun 20, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Cats are usually not fond of citrus, and there are some sprays on the market you can buy with a citrus smell to keep your cat from scratching. I bought one to keep my cat from clawing the carpet in front of closed doors (she was tearing the carpet up) and I'm sad to say, it didn't work! She took one sniff and rolled on it like it was catnip... BUT, a friend of mine has four cats and used the same stuff successfully!

Good luck!
    jillianleab's Avatar

#5

Jun 20, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Also, I forgot to add; apparently cats also don't like tin foil, so you might be able to put tin foil on the area of the couch she is scratching. Again, mine, however did not respond to this... put foil on the floor where she scratched and the little brat first laid on it, then bit a hole into it and tore it to shreds with her teeth. Perhaps your kitty is a little less of a pain in the a$$ than mine!
    bekah876's Avatar
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

#6

Jun 20, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Bitter apple works to keep her from biting. You can buy it at a pet store. The only negative is that you would have to put some on your hand so when she bites you she tastes it. What works wonders with my cat is a spray bottle. We have one in just about every room. If she is biting us too hard, on the kitchen table, scratching the couch, etc.. We spray her with water and it makes her stop. After awhile she learns not to do these things because she will get sprayed. Now I just have to show her the bottle and she stops whatever she is doing.
    arjones09's Avatar
    arjones09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

#7

Jun 28, 2007, 07:34 AM
    I have a lovable 5 week old kitten that likes to bite me and my family ang he cant understand the concept of going to the litter box at nighthe always urinates on my bed what should I do??
    bekah876's Avatar
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

#8

Jun 28, 2007, 09:42 AM
    My cat has urinated in my bed 3 times in the last 4 months so if you find the answer let me know. It is fixing to be that the cat has to go.
    bushg's Avatar
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596

#9

Jun 29, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bekah876
    Is your cat spayed/neutered ? Cats that are uncomfortable from being in heat will sometimes seek out other places to pee. Do you keep the litter box very clean, maybe provide 2 different sizes, they may not like the one you have for some reason, remember that their sense of smell is a lot better than ours so you may need to scoop it 2 times per day and try washing it inside and out once per week using a detergent and rinsing with vinegar water to take care of any odor left behnd. Also the cat may have A UTI they will go in some other places to urinate, beside the litter box. In their minds they see the litter box that is causing the pain. Cats are naturally clean animals so there has to be a reason why your cat is doing this, try different things and do some research before you get rid of it.
    bekah876's Avatar
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

#10

Jun 29, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Yes, my cat is fixed so going in heat is not her problem. My husband cleans the litter box since I just found out I am pregnant and I think he cleans it every other day. He might have to start doing it once a day. I thought about the UTI but she has done it 3 times in the last 4 or 5 months, not anytime close to each other. I would think if it was a UTI the incidents would happen closer together. I will tell my husband to start cleaning the litter box more often and maybe clean it out completely once a week. I hate to ask him to do this though since it is my cat and he all the sudden has been given the task of the litter box. Oh, and I have changed litter boxes since this has happened.
    In my mind I am beginning to think she is jealous of me. She likes my husband better than me and it is always my side she pees on (yes, I get the smell out completely and have turned the mattress and everything so it isn't the smell she is going back to). Maybe I am going crazy. I will try everything before I get rid of her, after all she is part of my family now.

How do I stop by puppy biting? [ 6 Answers ]

My little lab puppy is currently only about 8 weeks old but every time u go to stroke her she will bite you - only playfully of course, but still... they have quite sharp teeth! I was wondering if this is something she is going to grow out of, or if there is something I have to do to stop her doing...

Puppy Is Still Biting! Help [ 4 Answers ]

Thank you for the advice on trying to solve my problem with my puppy's(labxgsd - now 12wks) excessive biting. I have tried holding her front legs up from behind - it works but just for a short while, 10 minutes later she comes back to bite. I have had her from 6wks - she was not that bad before. It...

How to get kitten to stop peeing on beds? [ 3 Answers ]

My kitten is about 5 months old now and she keeps peeing on beds. Do you know how to get her to stop? :confused:

How can l get my puppie to stop biting? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 16 week old Maltese puppie she seems to be constantly nipping at everyone in my family example hands and hem of there pants, we are not initiating rough play.

Biting Flies [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know a remedy for biting flies?. we get them really bad and can't be outside at our beach cottage. HELP!